UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Crumbling Pompeii site in "state of emergency"

he Italian government declared a state of emergency at the Pompeii archaeological site on Friday to try to rescue one of the world's most important cultural treasures from decades of neglect. A cabinet statement said it would appoint a special commissioner for Pompeii, the ancient Roman city buried by an eruption of the Vesuvius volcano in AD 79 and now a UNESCO World Heritage site."To call the situation intolerable doesn't go far enough," said Culture Minister Sandro Bondi, who took office in Silvio Berlusconi's new conservative government in May. Archaeologists and art historians have long complained about the poor upkeep of Pompeii, dogged by lack of investment, mismanagement, litter and looting. Bogus tour guides, illegal parking attendants and stray dogs also plague visitors.

full article at Yahoo News

It would be great if something was really done. I'm far from convinced though.

I've recently returned from Pompeii.

The gross mismanagement is shocking. They are exploiting the site purely for financial gain (i.e. forget the damage, get people trough the turnstiles) and making little to no effort to protect it.

Of course, they are not helped by the tourists who think nothing of vandalising the site and scrawling their names on the walls.

Even if the EU or Italian govt. invested billions, the corruption there would stifle any real gains that could be made.

A very sad state of affairs.

If that's the state of things, it should be shut off from the public and open only to scholars and cultural officials.

Salve, Amici.

If that's the state of things, it should be shut off from the public and open only to scholars and cultural officials.

Good remark.

he Italian government declared a state of emergency at the Pompeii archaeological site on Friday to try to rescue one of the world's most important cultural treasures from decades of neglect. A cabinet statement said it would appoint a special commissioner for Pompeii, the ancient Roman city buried by an eruption of the Vesuvius volcano in AD 79 and now a UNESCO World Heritage site."To call the situation intolerable doesn't go far enough," said Culture Minister Sandro Bondi, who took office in Silvio Berlusconi's new conservative government in May. Archaeologists and art historians have long complained about the poor upkeep of Pompeii, dogged by lack of investment, mismanagement, litter and looting. Bogus tour guides, illegal parking attendants and stray dogs also plague visitors.

full article at Yahoo News

Some 2.5 million tourists visit Pompeii each year, making it one of Italy's most popular attractions, and many have expressed shock at the site's decay.

Of course, this article reminds me about This thread asking to help the Corinthian Diolkos:

A noble effort of course... I don't mean to oppose such an effort. Clearly the existence of unrv.com is an indication of how I feel about historic preservation, but I do hope there is "more to the story".

We can only expect national governments to act in accordance with their own statements.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

I see on the news that a 'Minister for Pompeii' has been recruited, although there are fears that the sight is now going to exploited commercially, and is already being hired as a venue for events.

I see on the news that a 'Minister for Pompeii' has been recruited, although there are fears that the sight is now going to exploited commercially, and is already being hired as a venue for events.

I see no problem with, say, the amphitheatre and theatre being used for events/concerts etc, as long as the money goes where it should go, and the events are policed correctly. On two occasions I have been to Pompeii, and both times was staggered by the huge turnover of paying tourists. The revenue from this, and additional revenue from continuing to use the entertainment venues already in place since the 1st century, I would have thought would be ample for the preservation of the site if it was administered properly.

There are other ways the site could be improved with relatively little cost. Some of the houses are quite humble affairs, without any frescoes, and are simply crumbling away with weeds growing and mortar decomposing. I am sure there is an immense pool of free labour throughout the world who would come to the site and help with the upkeep of such ordinary buildings, and all the authorities need do is to provide free basic accommodation and one meal a day. Who among us, for example, would object - in principle - to a weeks free board and lodging in Pompeii, in return for eight hours a day doing some re-pointing, gravelling and weeding? (And before there is a counter-post listing the considerable pitfalls of such a project, and the problems in administering it, I have taken these into account :lol: but I still think it would be worth considering.)

There are other ways the site could be improved with relatively little cost. Some of the houses are quite humble affairs, without any frescoes, and are simply crumbling away with weeds growing and mortar decomposing. I am sure there is an immense pool of free labour throughout the world who would come to the site and help with the upkeep of such ordinary buildings, and all the authorities need do is to provide free basic accommodation and one meal a day. Who among us, for example, would object - in principle - to a weeks free board and lodging in Pompeii, in return for eight hours a day doing some re-pointing, gravelling and weeding? (And before there is a counter-post listing the considerable pitfalls of such a project, and the problems in administering it, I have taken these into account :lol: but I still think it would be worth considering.)

Me too, NN; this pro-post supports your proposition.

More on Saving ancient Pompeii from modern threats

Citing threats to public security and to the site itself, the Italian government has for the first time declared a yearlong state of emergency for the ancient city of Pompeii. Nearly 2,000 years after Mount Vesuvius buried Pompeii under pumice and steaming volcanic ash, some 2.6 million tourists tramp annually through this archaeological site, which is on Unesco's World Heritage list.

Frescoes in the ancient Roman city, one of Italy's most popular attractions, fade under the blistering sun or are chipped at by souvenir hunters. Mosaics endure the brunt of tens of thousands of shuffling thongs and sneakers. Teetering columns and walls are propped up by wooden and steel scaffolding. Rusty padlocks deny access to recently restored houses, and custodians seem to be few and far between...

Profili has been given special powers for one year so he can bypass the Italian bureaucracy and speedily bolster security and stop the disintegration... Government red tape is blamed for some of the inefficiencies at Pompeii.

This has got to be one of the smartest things that the Italian government has ever done. When the municipal government of New York City turned the deteriorating, dangerous park behind NYC's Public Library over to a private, incorporated group, the improvements were outstanding. When I was a child, Bryant Park was not the sort of place I was allowed to walk past, let alone venture into. Nowadays, Bryant Park is a safe, attractive, city showplace, where people meet freely for cultural events. At a speech held in Bryant Park a few years ago, I was only mildly surprised to hear the park director identify himself as a libertarian.

Cheers to retired lawman Renato Profili for undertaking the task of saving Pompeii. And cheers to the Italian government, for stepping aside and letting the job get done.

-- Nephele

I've never been to Pompeii and I really had no idea it was so bad. Here's hoping they get their act together and do something about it!

I'm with NN on this one, if I had free room and board I'd work for a week there, just to see the sights!!! Though I'd probably want more than one meal a day...all that physical work makes you very hungry!