UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ASCLEPIADES

Religion and tolerance in Rome

Salve, Amici.

And on the question that opened this thread, no doubt:

The Christians, because after a centuries long fight they ultimately conquered both the Roman Empire and its German invaders, eventually eradicating their competitors.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

I'm getting a bit tired of this Christian bashing, not because I'm a Christian (I'm not) but because it's a false statement. What religion had the people that created tolerance, science, secularism and human rights?

Where they Pagans, Buddhists or Muslims? Are many non-Christian cultures noted today for this qualities?

Christians were persecuted for at least 200 years, but they still won. Paganism was violently supported by the roman state and still lost. Is this a chance of Fortune? Christianity was an unstoppable bottom-up revolution that changed the state, morals, art, law, identity etc. Constantine just went with this flow because those who tried to went against it failed. The moment an emperor accepted Christianity was unavoidable.

I'm getting a bit tired of this Christian bashing, not because I'm a Christian (I'm not) but because it's a false statement. What religion had the people that created tolerance, science, secularism and human rights?

Where they Pagans, Buddhists or Muslims? Are many non-Christian cultures noted today for this qualities?

Christians were persecuted for at least 200 years, but they still won. Paganism was violently supported by the roman state and still lost. Is this a chance of Fortune? Christianity was an unstoppable bottom-up revolution that changed the state, morals, art, law, identity etc. Constantine just went with this flow because those who tried to went against it failed. The moment an emperor accepted Christianity was unavoidable.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

What religion had the people that created tolerance, science, secularism and human rights?

Where they Pagans, Buddhists or Muslims?

They were assuredly pagans, and almost all Greeks. Did you really think that Christians invented science? Archimedes would be shocked. And the invention of secularism? As far as we can tell, it's Thales, though secularism spread like wildfire among the philosophers in Athens. Tolerance? Long before Jesus was throwing hissy-fits against money-changers, Stoics taught that reason--the birthright of all humans--was what made men free, happy, and gave them their rights.

I have to agree with my fellow Cato on this one and say the Greeks were there first on all of the above. I also think polytheism by its very nature has to be tolerant because there is no one god but many so there are many different ways to access the god head (although don

Edited by M. Corvus Cato

I have to agree with my fellow Cato on this one and say the Greeks were there first on all of the above. I also think polytheism by its very nature has to be tolerant because there is no one god but many so there are many different ways to access the god head (although don

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Outside the Bacchants, can you name ONE example of religious persecution during the republic? Because I surely can name more than one example of religious persecution on the part of Christians.

Outside the Bacchants, can you name ONE example of religious persecution during the republic? Because I surely can name more than one example of religious persecution on the part of Christians.
Edited by ASCLEPIADES

... I also think polytheism by its very nature has to be tolerant because there is no one god but many so there are many different ways to access the god head (although don
Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Excellent! I knew the Aztecs were not all bad! To wander totally off topic one last time - I wonder can anyone think of a polytheistic religion that was not tolerant of other gods? (using Ingsoc’s qualified definition of tolerance)

The Romans forbade the practice of Druidism, first to Roman citizens then to all people living in the empire because they saw Druidism as a barbaric religion. They also expell members of the eastern religions from the city of Rome on several occasions since they have won many adherents and cause they to forsake the state gods.

Edited by Ingsoc

Excellent! I knew the Aztecs were not all bad! To wander totally off topic one last time - I wonder can anyone think of a polytheistic religion that was not tolerant of other gods? (using Ingsoc
Edited by ASCLEPIADES