UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Octavia

Who Killed Germanicus?

I have always been facsinated with Germanicus. I think he could of been a great leader. He had many good quLITIES FROM WHAT I read. Also, I read he died of natural causes but that Tiberius was suspected of poisoning him. We will never know the truth.

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if the sources said anything about who murdered Germanicus? I don't think it was Caligula. Not sure though, but he wiould had been a young boy at the time. What do you all think happened to him and who did it? I believe it could have been poison that killed him. Not sure.

Germanicus is have been said to very popular. Also his wife Agrippina. Tiberius was jealous of Germanicus because of his popularity and assumed that the people and the senate would make him emperor of Rome. After that He exiled the whole family the only reason lil Gais (Caligula) and his sisters Agrippina the younger, Drusilla, and Livilla survived all this was youth, Agrippina the elder (Germanicus wife), Drussus and Nero didnt share the same fate. They either died of starvation of commited suicide.

germanicus_stuttgart_wm.JPG

I believe Emperor Tiberius poisoned General Germanicus due to Germanicus' rising popularity rate, which Tiberius felt threatened his authority. So poison was put in his meal to kill him.  Germanicus' wife, Agrippina the Elder suspected Tiberius for her husband's murder.  And the feud between Agrippina and Tiberius resulted in her excommunication and the arrest of two of her boys: Nero and Drusus.:rip::romansoldier:

I have just finished the Stephen Dando-Collins book on Germanicus and i have to say that i felt a little unsatisfied with his conclusion. I don't see how he can accuse his wife of helping to murder him. Although i did enjoy reading the book i felt as though there were more likely people to have brought about Germanicus' demise. 

On 20/04/2017 at 4:10 PM, Romanez said:

I have just finished the Stephen Dando-Collins book on Germanicus and i have to say that i felt a little unsatisfied with his conclusion. I don't see how he can accuse his wife of helping to murder him. Although i did enjoy reading the book i felt as though there were more likely people to have brought about Germanicus' demise. 

I have to admit that I am not the greatest fan of Dando-Collins.  Many of the claims in his other books appear either far-fetched or simply wrong - especially in his 'Complete Roman Legions.  I did a review of his book 'The Great Fire of Rome. http://www.unrv.com/book-review/the-great-fire-of-rome.php (the review has been transferred from the old site, hence the strange punctuation etc.)  Although interesting in some ways, his main conclusions don't seem to hold water at all!

After I read the relevant ancient sources.  I concluded that it was the governor, Piso, who did it, thinking to curry favor with Tiberius.  Actually, Germanicus' murder and the aftermath are an important plot element in my novel, THE REDEMPTION OF PONTIUS PILATE.  I'd invite you to check it out sometime.

On 4/26/2017 at 0:18 PM, sonic said:

I have to admit that I am not the greatest fan of Dando-Collins.  Many of the claims in his other books appear either far-fetched or simply wrong - especially in his 'Complete Roman Legions.  I did a review of his book 'The Great Fire of Rome. http://www.unrv.com/book-review/the-great-fire-of-rome.php (the review has been transferred from the old site, hence the strange punctuation etc.)  Although interesting in some ways, his main conclusions don't seem to hold water at all!

I have enjoyed reading about the legions although i don't think i can judge and the reliability of his information. 

I find it hard to accept that Agrippina would have been involved in this. I've never seen any historian give the impression that Germanicus was a bad husband or father, and can't imagine what she would have sought to gain from his death.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:46 PM, Valka D'Ur said:

I find it hard to accept that Agrippina would have been involved in this. I've never seen any historian give the impression that Germanicus was a bad husband or father, and can't imagine what she would have sought to gain from his death.

I would agree with this. Germanicus was her best hope for power. He was a popular and well loved general. There was to much that could wrong having to wait for one of her children to inherit the throne.