UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Masters Degree

I guess the one thing that no one told me upon entering grad school was not about coursework or professors. It was about time management. I mean, I was very good at it when working on my Bachelors, but didn't quite understand how much of my time was going to be taken up between my studies and my teaching assistantship. Budget your time wisely, manage your priorities, and you should be fine! Good luck!

I guess the one thing that no one told me upon entering grad school was not about coursework or professors. It was about time management. I mean, I was very good at it when working on my Bachelors, but didn't quite understand how much of my time was going to be taken up between my studies and my teaching assistantship. Budget your time wisely, manage your priorities, and you should be fine! Good luck!

Thanks. All I have to balance are my one or two classes a semester, and 40 hours of work. No wife nor kids, so there is one less thing to worry about. All in all, I am rather looking forward to it and am confident that I should do well.

Thanks. All I have to balance are my one or two classes a semester, and 40 hours of work. No wife nor kids, so there is one less thing to worry about. All in all, I am rather looking forward to it and am confident that I should do well.

Avoid complacency! :naughty: I had the same lack of restrictions during my MA and could easily have fallen into the trap of doing nothing for long periods of time, as it would be easy to 'catch up'. It never works like that! Set yourself goals to complete every week and make sure you stick to them. Also, be honest with yourself and set goals that you will have to work to meet, otherwise you could end up with lots of work to do at the end, when you have the least time to complete things.

Talking of setting goals, set yourself targets that are just beyond your current expectations. That way, you are spurred into achieving more than you thought you could. When I started university, I would have been happy with a simple pass, as I went as a 'mature' student and didn't have the continuity of study of younger people. I found one individual (now a PhD) who was achieving more than me and set myself the target of catching him. Although I didn't quite manage it, it still pulled me up several grades and helped increase my self confidence to an unexpected level.

Other than that, my only advice would be to enjoy yourself and don't be afraid of making mistakes!! (I still remember one blunder in a Latin 'lesson' where I confused the Latin for 'to eat' with 'to give birth' (or somethink like that - I can't remember exactly so no corrections please!!), which led to much hilarity! No-one else remembers it now!!)

Good luck and enjoy!