UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Which Roman Emperors never did battle?

longshotgene

Emperor Romulas Augustus neither fought personally, nor did his government ever fight in a war.

Deep thinking here on my part.

I cant think of any emperor, from Julius Caesar to Constatine XI besides Romulas Augustus who had a peaceful reign. The Roman Empire went for over 1500 years (not including the republic), I dont think there was ever a point that they were not being attacked or falling into civil strife. Im sure there is some Byzantine emperor who was crowned and then died really fast before the persians or turks knew to even do a congratulatory attack ushering in his reign, but Im not recalling one.

I know one of the medieval popes declared himself Ceasar.... he too probably warred somewhere.

Listen everyone, just avoid having the title of Roman Emperor and you should be fine.

You mean Romulus Augustulus? He was only a kid anyway, and quite soon ordered off the throne by Odoacer. Over the course of the empire Caesars were either militaresque campaigners, or stay-at-home politicians, relating to their character and Roman cultural expectation. There was also a matter of practicality - a Caesar couldn't really afford to be far from power unless he was very secure in his position. Some Caesars rather liked being close to the Roman public and showed off shamelessly, people like Caligula, Nero, Commodus, and funnily enough, to a lesser extent Didius Julianus (they all came to grief, all violently). Some Caesars were more amenable to administrative styles, such as the Flavians, or Claudius. The later Caesars were more concerned with displays of power and grandeur (which is why the period is called the 'Dominate'), and to display, one needs an audience to display to.