UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Help! Ideas for my Thesis?

MastersInClassics

Hello, this is my first post on this forum but I'm hoping that you may be able to offer me some advice? I have just graduated with a history degree, and am starting my Masters in October. My Masters is in Classics and Ancient History, and I am currently thinking about topics for my thesis. I have recently been thinking about examining Ancient medicine/ Surgery etc, perhaps investigating the impact of Christianity upon the medical profession. Another idea was researching the Jewish population throughout the empire and the uneasy but often necessary relationship between Romans and Jews. I'm just concerned I'll find there's not enough material on either of these areas when I start to research and write - can anyone with any experience or knowledge of these subjects offer me any advice if these would be wise areas to cover? Thank you so much, Tom

Hello, this is my first post on this forum but I'm hoping that you may be able to offer me some advice? I have just graduated with a history degree, and am starting my Masters in October. My Masters is in Classics and Ancient History, and I am currently thinking about topics for my thesis. I have recently been thinking about examining Ancient medicine/ Surgery etc, perhaps investigating the impact of Christianity upon the medical profession. Another idea was researching the Jewish population throughout the empire and the uneasy but often necessary relationship between Romans and Jews. I'm just concerned I'll find there's not enough material on either of these areas when I start to research and write - can anyone with any experience or knowledge of these subjects offer me any advice if these would be wise areas to cover? Thank you so much, Tom

I am no expert although both subject areas sound like they could be profitably researched for a masters as you suspect doing the research may be subject to a number of difficulties and may need to rely heavily on implication and/or allegory rather than direct reportage.

The major problem is obviously what material you will have access to, as you haven't provided a home location the following may not help but I am a member of the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies and as such have access to the Classics Library, based in Senate House (University of London). Doing a quick search under "Roman Medicine" I found that they have 9 books listed so it does appear to be an area where some secondary sources will be available to aid your research. However the relatively few boks listed may be a reflection of limitations with the primary sources such as only a few major medical works surviving from the period.

As far as Judaism/Christianity is concerned there is obviously a lot of both primary and secondary material around however I am unsure how much direct connection you will find in them to medical practices.

A lot will obviously also depend on whether you are completely reliant on English translations of relevant text books/primary sources.

Is there any chance that you professor will have done research in a similar area or your university have similar interests?

Melvadius

Actually, I think either idea has been examined quite in depth. Neither is terribly original, but that doesn't mean that they lack the merit for quality thesis. The Jewish-Roman angle will have much more readily available ancient/primary source material, whereas the Christian/Religion angle will likely require far more research and comparative analysis of secondary sources. Either has challenges and possibilities.

Melvadius has a good suggestion that one might want to "interview" their professor(s) to investigate areas of interest or knowledge. Thusly armed, one can engage those professors with problems you may encounter in the process while also being sure of undivided attention when it comes to the review of your work. However, such a strategy can also present a difficult challenge. Playing to those strengths and expertise areas can make presenting both a compelling and original concept exhausting and/or dangerous depending on the personalities of those who will pass judgment.

Hello, this is my first post on this forum but I'm hoping that you may be able to offer me some advice? I have just graduated with a history degree, and am starting my Masters in October. My Masters is in Classics and Ancient History, and I am currently thinking about topics for my thesis. I have recently been thinking about examining Ancient medicine/ Surgery etc, perhaps investigating the impact of Christianity upon the medical profession. Thank you so much, Tom

I find the resources available on this subject to be very scarce. It is, however, very helpful to have at least a basic understanding of medicine to address the technical and medical problems faced by Ancient physicians or to discuss diseases such as the Antonine Plague (also known as the Plague of Galen).

When studying medicine in Ancient Rome, it is important to have a good background on Ancient Greek medicine since Greeks were the majority of prominent physicians in Ancient Rome. I recommend studying the role of the cult of Asclepius (Latin: Aesculapius) on Ancient Greek and Roman medicine. Also, study the impact of Hippocrates on the development of the rational approach to medicine. Contrast the Greek rational approach to medicine with the more traditional approach favored by Romans that included folklore, diet (most famously cabbage), and exercise.

It is also useful to understand the unique problems faced by Greek (or Hellenized) physicians when dealing with their sometimes suspicious Roman clientele.

Robert Garland, Ph.D. has described the evolution of the relationship between Greeks and Romans in their approach to medicine and the Greek physicians who characterized this changing relationship. Initially, Greek physicians were held with suspicion and even hostility (best characterized by the Greek physician Archagathus, later called

Edited by guy