UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Legion Standards

• 8 months later...

The republican is reputed by the historian Pliny the elder to have had five standards, an eagle, a wolf, a Minotaur, a horse and a boar. Marius made the eagle supreme because of its close associations with Jupiter, and the remainder were relegated or abolished.

standardrelief27tn.th.jpg

I like the Draco standards.

2005drum107ou.th.jpg

2005drum82cw.th.jpg

The sound they make is really creepy,i imagine they would of scared the hell out the locals.

L

The origin of the standard seems to have been a handful of grass gathered and tied to the head of a lance,

on trajens column there is a standard surmounted by an 'aries' a ram,it was emblematic of siege operations.

L

I find the dragon pretty cool ..

me too,Lol

Signum standards were used by Legionary and Auxiliary Century units of the legions,the "Manus"(human hand) is beleived to represent the first Century of a maniple formation(republic).The Manus was still used during the Empire period and it is thought that the number of discs on the staff represent the number of the unit within the Cohort.

milsignum5bb.th.jpg

signumnewtop4ga.jpg

And lets not forget that the modern Welsh flag is derived from the later Roman legionary Draco!

To assert their authority in the post Roman period Romano-British leaders emulated the departed legions by bearing the Draco standard.... or so I was taught.

vlagwales.gif