UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Floating "Mills" on the Tiber

Faustus

Researching flooding of the Tiber and regions of ancient Rome, especially during the deterioriation of the city, I came across a very interesting development. There was more flooding of Rome, than I had been aware, always being satisfied the fine engineering talents of the Romans were more than adequate to the task of flood control. But the development to which I refer was the innovation of floating

Edited by Faustus

Faustus, is this passage taken from Giovanni Antonazzi's "Fogli Sparsi Raccolti per il Sabato Sera"?

I have this book in Italian, Chapter 4 in the Passeggiate Romane section is called "Le Mole del Tevere" and has more or less the same information.

It was a nice piece of improvisation by Belisarius, but I didn't know that the Romans had continued to use the idea until 1870!

The most famous mill in the XIX century was "la mola dei fiorentini", and although the mill is gone we still have "Via delle mole dei Fiorentini".