UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Faustus

The Deterioriation of Rome after 312 A.D.

So there are two Basilius inscriptions at the Colosseum! Thanks for this second image. I'm not a Latinist. What do you think of the text? Does it show any evidence of Late Latin?

I'm not a Latinist either.

If I recall correctly, the two inscriptions are believed to have been set up roughly at the same time. The second one seems to be even sloppier than the first, even though the lines are straighter. The upper lines are very crowded whereas there is an abundance of space at the bottom.

Then there is the question of spelling differences between the two inscriptions. I don't know enough Latin to tell which one would be the original and which one the copy, but since they can't seem to be dated relative to each other, I'm not sure anyone has got that figured out yet. It seems to me that late Romans had a much more 'dynamic' or relaxed approach to grammar and spelling. Languages change over time, so that might not necessarily be a sign of a decline. I hope someone more knowledgeable can chime in though.

Edited by Maladict

So there are two Basilius inscriptions at the Colosseum! Thanks for this second image. I'm not a Latinist. What do you think of the text? Does it show any evidence of Late Latin?

If I recall correctly, the two inscriptions are believed to have been set up roughly at the same time. The second one seems to be even sloppier than the first, even though the lines are straighter. The upper lines are very crowded whereas there is an abundance of space at the bottom.

Then there is the question of spelling differences between the two inscriptions. I don't know enough Latin to tell which one would be the original and which one the copy, but since they can't seem to be dated relative to each other, I'm not sure anyone has got that figured out yet. It seems to me that late Romans had a much more 'dynamic' or relaxed approach to grammar and spelling. Languages change over time, so that might not necessarily be a sign of a decline. I hope someone more knowledgeable can chime in though.

As someone who is moderately appalling at Latin, I have been quite relieved to see that inscriptions often have a somewhat more eccentric approach to the language than the classical writers. This is not necessarily true only of the late Empire. I recall a truly appalling first century text unearthed in Spain in the 1990s and many other provincial inscriptions are of a similar calibre. When pulled up on the shortcomings of my own Latin - as happens all to frequently - I point to inscriptions such as these and announce my allegiance to the freedom and flexibility of inscriptional Latin, rather than the rigid dogma of the classicists. It is possible that the Colosseum inscriptions were done by a provincial worker as a stop-gap until a 'proper' plaque could be put in place, but this plan was superseded by events.

It is possible that the Colosseum inscriptions were done by a provincial worker as a stop-gap until a 'proper' plaque could be put in place, but this plan was superseded by events.

Interesting idea, I had not thought of that.

As someone who is moderately appalling at Latin, I have been quite relieved to see that inscriptions often have a somewhat more eccentric approach to the language than the classical writers. This is not necessarily true only of the late Empire. I recall a truly appalling first century text unearthed in Spain in the 1990s and many other provincial inscriptions are of a similar calibre. When pulled up on the shortcomings of my own Latin - as happens all to frequently - I point to inscriptions such as these and announce my allegiance to the freedom and flexibility of inscriptional Latin, rather than the rigid dogma of the classicists. It is possible that the Colosseum inscriptions were done by a provincial worker as a stop-gap until a 'proper' plaque could be put in place, but this plan was superseded by events.

Yes, that does make sense. Poster size paper and cardboard would not have been available. I guess the "proper" plaque was never produced or it could have ended up in the hands of the marble cutters (marmorarii) and lime burners (calcararii), growing work forces of recyclers at the end of the Western Empire.

Edited by Ludovicus

With the dramatic drop in population at the end of the Gothic Wars, the marble cutters and lime burners must have had a picnic. Remember also that a number of very destructive earthquakes hit the City in the 6th and 9th centuries. Large buildings such as the public baths and the Forum Romanum must have been reduced to forests of fallen columns, easy prey for the marble recyclers. Here's a detailed account of the use of Roman spolia (recycled building materials) in medieval Europe.

http://books.google.com/books?id=va6MW3rp2...3&ct=result

Some where in Lan

Edited by Ludovicus

With the dramatic drop in population at the end of the Gothic Wars, the marble cutters and lime burners must have had a picnic. Remember also that a number of very destructive earthquakes hit the City in the 6th and 9th centuries. Large buildings such as the public baths and the Forum Romanum must have been reduced to forests of fallen columns, easy prey for the marble recyclers. Here's a detailed account of the use of Roman spolia (recycled building materials) in medieval Europe.

http://books.google.com/books?id=va6MW3rp2...3&ct=result

Some where in Lan

Here's an image from the Crypta Balbi Museum showing a workshop of the "calcari" or limeburners, early medieval era.

http://www.iconoclasm.dk/images/cryptabalbi.jpg

Salve, M

Do you have any information on the third inscription?

The three inscriptions were discovered at the Colosseum in the XVI century, but CIL 06, 32094 a has since been lost; nevertheless, its transcription survives as follows:

Venanti / v(iri) c(larissimi) / co(n)s(ulis) / Decius Marius Ve/nantius Basilius / v(ir) c(larissimus) et inl(ustris) praefectus / urbi patricius cons(ul) / ordinarius arenam / et podium quae abomi/nandi terrae motus / ruina prostra/vit sumptu proprio restituit

As you can see, its heading phrase (ie. "From the distinguished Lord Venantius", highlighted above) is lacking from the other two copies (b and c)

Both spacing and abbreviations are peculiar to each copy.

Salve, M

The three inscriptions were discovered at the Colosseum in the XVI century, but CIL 06, 32094 a has since been lost; nevertheless, its transcription survives as follows:

Venanti / v(iri) c(larissimi) / co(n)s(ulis) / Decius Marius Ve/nantius Basilius / v(ir) c(larissimus) et inl(ustris) praefectus / urbi patricius cons(ul) / ordinarius arenam / et podium quae abomi/nandi terrae motus / ruina prostra/vit sumptu proprio restituit

As you can see, its heading phrase (ie. "From the distinguished Lord Venantius", highlighted above) is lacking from the other two copies (b and c)

Very interesting, thank you.

Salve, M

Very interesting, thank you.

Reviewing this old post I see that I never thanked you for the transcription. Thanks indeed!