UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Tiny Toilets

Northern Neil

I realise that the Gallery section has its particular set of enthusiasts and all pictures are available to the general membership, but I just couldn't resist sharing this with the entire membership. Probably my finest model to date!

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?autoco...si&img=2466

Salve, NN

I realise that the Gallery section has its particular set of enthusiasts and all pictures are available to the general membership, but I just couldn't resist sharing this with the entire membership. Probably my finest model to date!

Gratiam habeo for sharing again with us the pleasure of such amazing views from HOMVNCVLVM, Brigantia, Britannia.

As we can see, not everything that happens in the domus should stay in the domus

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

As we can see, not everything that happens in the domus should stay in the domus

NN, are you providing accompanying, realistic odors for this model, to add to the realism?

-- Nephele

Now, THERE'S a thought!!

From your gallery: "Next to the public road, patrons can still watch the day - to - day activity of the town whilst using this facility, and its closely spaced seats .... enable one to continue in conversation with ones friends uninterrupted during the lavatorial process. The toilets discharge into the town's sewers, and there is a constant flow of clean water from a fountain at the right, which travels along a channel in front of the seats, thus allowing one to clean ones sponge stick in the flow. This channel discharges at the side of the road into the sewers."

With the back wall for privacy this system is a notable improvement over U.S. (and I assume other) Navy "heads". In those, a set of two pipes serves as seats with full "public" exposure in all directions which dampens ones desire to sit and chat. The modern troop ship systems are not greatly improved over the ancient public toilets, with the definite exception of t.p. and hand-washing facilities.

The modern troop ship systems are not greatly improved over the ancient public toilets, with the definite exception of t.p. and hand-washing facilities.

I suppose hands could be washed in the flow from the fountain. I would think that when the toilets were busy, the seat nearest the fountain was the most desirable, being closest to the fountain, and thus having the cleanest water in which to wash ones hands and spongestick. Omitted from this model (soon to be added) are the large pots used to urinate into. the urine was collected by workers from the local laundries, as it was (is) a good bleaching agent.

The modern troop ship systems are not greatly improved over the ancient public toilets, with the definite exception of t.p. and hand-washing facilities.

I suppose hands could be washed in the flow from the fountain. I would think that when the toilets were busy, the seat nearest the fountain was the most desirable, being closest to the fountain, and thus having the cleanest water in which to wash ones hands and spongestick. Omitted from this model (soon to be added) are the large pots used to urinate into. the urine was collected by workers from the local laundries, as it was (is) a good bleaching agent.

Salve NN, and thanks for the clarification.

Not to make an untoward comparison here, but in our very cosmopolitan town and the seat of Indiana University, in the forties much of the town had out-houses. The standard convenience to avoid trips to the out-house in the winter time on those cold nights, was what many would call a pee-pot but was more accurately called a slop-jar which of course was 'lidded'. Ah the good old days.

I would imagine that "system" was typical in Rome too. Be informed, this S.J. wasn't permitted to remain inside very long come morning. I think that was the first order of the morning business.

Nicely done, NN! After the fuller pots and sponge sticks are added, don't forget the graffiti! Catullus 57 seems apt for the latrinae:

Pulcre conuenit improbis cinaedis,

Mamurrae pathicoque Caesarique.

nec mirum: maculae pares utrisque,

urbana altera et illa Formiana,

impressae resident nec eluentur

Nicely done, NN! After the fuller pots and sponge sticks are added, don't forget the graffiti! Catullus 57 seems apt for the latrinae:

Many thanks for that, MPC. Would it work if I incorporated that into an inscribed stone, say on the rear retaining wall, or is the latin somewhat colloquial in its phrasing?

Many thanks for that, MPC. Would it work if I incorporated that into an inscribed stone, say on the rear retaining wall, or is the latin somewhat colloquial in its phrasing?

Not not inscribed--graffiti seems always to be written in that red ochre-colored hand. The opening credits to HBO Rome provides a nice example, but I could get you something more concrete if you'd like.

Salve, Amici

I simply love this poet.

Gaius Valerius Catullus, Carmen LVII: ad Gaium Iulium Caesarem (lines I-V):

Everything is turning out well for those disgraceful Cinaedii*

Caesar and Mamurra*** the pathicus**

No wonder: the stains are equal for both of them,

But one is from the city and the other is from Formia,

And they are so ingrained that they cannot be washed out:

* Cinaedus (plural form, Cinaedii) was a complicated insulting term referring to sexual immorality and a willingness to do anything for a little profit.

**- Pathicus was another vulgar and insulting word that refered to sexually perverted individuals.

*** Mamurra was a crony of Julius Caesar, depicted by CV Catullus in Carmen XXIX (line II) as impudicus et uorax et aleo: "shameless and a glutton and a gambler".

My thanks to MPC for such a wonderful graffito, and to Asclepiades for the translation. The best way I think to place this on the model, given the small scale, is to write it in cursive with a colour resembling red ochre, scan it and shrink it down. I will be calling on MPC or Asclepiades in the not too distant for ideas about inscriptions on publlic buildings...

(EDIT) I note that the translation is also there in a link on MPC's original post. Talking of graffiti and red ochre, the thought occurs that the convention of painting buildings red up to a certain height might have served the purpose of preventing graffiti artists. I note that the graffiti at Pompeii is the same colour as the half - painted red on some of the walls. Maybe this was the commonest / cheapest paint available?

Edited by Northern Neil