UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Zanatos

I'm making a videogame

Alright, well basically I am making a city building video game, I am developing it right now, but I have no idea what to do for Magistrates. Not like a person being magistrates, like the implementing of Magistrate like position into your city, and lets face it I'm stumped. I am tied between implementing more taxes (making it more accurate with Aedile I believe, I think they did the census and the taxing. The other possible effect I think would be law and order, civic service, or the pride rating.

This may be vague, and you might not understand the game. Please email me if you actualy want to learn more or be in a beta (When I get to the programing), or you just want to help with my accuracy of Government effects.

Plus if you email me I can show you the spreadsheet (bloody Google doesn't let me just post the sheet)

Edited by Zanatos

In terms of my knowledge of Roman Magistrates, they can tax(they can also lease the taxes out). They are the judges in courts in provincial disputes. They are in charge of the provincial garrisons or legions.

I'm interested in knowing more about you're game. It is like Rome Total War?

No, in fact if it would be compared to anything it would be Civcity: Rome, just turn based.

alright, so it is a city building game as the previous statement implied. The point of this game is to amass a certain amount of points in 12 of my categories. These categories would be: Civic Service, Beauty (of the city not the people), Pride, Religion, Entertainment, Infrastructure, Luxury, Law and Order, Health, happiness, Technology, and the amount of money in your treasury.

First of all, you have to feed your people, you do that with farms obviously, Rice, Corn and potatoes if your land is suitable. Then the laborers (construction building) would build with materials and the points they have gathered. (God this would be easier to explain with my spread sheet)

With other resources that you can farm (farm is a gerneral term I use for resource gathering) You can take them to a factory (refiner, they get a set amount of points per turn per worker to turn raw materials into refined good that sell at a much higher price)

Now comes the part in my poorly organized essay like thingie where I describe how you get to unlock these buildings and soon to be discused laws and governments. You buy infrastructure and technology. Thats all there is too it, I decided not to make it insanely complicated and just made it as simple as a transaction of money.

Alright, we are getting to laws and stuff now. At the begining of the game you choose whether to be "Industrious" "Financial" or "Organized", they each have their own effects. With infrastructure and technology you can unlock buildings obviously, but you also unlock laws, holidays, and governments. The 4 governments I put in the game are "Monarchy" "Republic" "Theocracy" and "Totalitarian". A Monarchy gives a ponus to law and order and civic service. Republic gives Pride and civic service. A theocrocy gives a bonus to the state religion effect. (more on religious effects later). One of the other things you choose one of, is if you want to be Dutch, Roman, German or Swiss. The dutch give a bonus to trade (Dutch East India Trading Company), The romans give extra points to the construction. The Germans has two effects, you get more money from tavenrs and the foods man has more points. And the Swiss, well they have a super charged bank.

I felt it was time for a new paragraph for things. Anyway, once you have a sufficient amount of Infrastructure and technology you can implement things like a Standard Currency, in which taxes are easier to collect so you get a tax increase. Other things are A Standard Legal Code, National Guard (Praetorian), Universal Language, Government sponsored Education and Healthcare, A bureaucracy ( I cannot spell that word for the life of me), allowing slavery or Bread and Circuses.

Additionaly, you can implement holidays such as a religious or state holiday, or "Market Day" Where you get extra points on factories and extra trade cash.

One of the final things is the subject of religion. Now, I decided reach religion should have a special effect for its temple, its "big" temple and if its your state religion. I have 9 religions in my game each with an effect for the three things you can build for them. The religions are Confucianism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hellinistic, Hinduism, Pagans, and Taoism.

(I know this is long but I swear, we are gonna get through this. there are only two things left.)

The second to last thing to talk about is how you make money. You want to know how? I think you know how. Taxes. You take the one big apartment that all your citizens live in and upgrades. Yes, your city starts with the little slum like apartment, then give your city a couple wells, and viola it upgrades and you get 5 more $ in taxes per citizen. Yes, its that simple. However the needs change for every upgrade, and so do the amount of taxes.

There is only one thing I haven't figured out, and thats how to make your population grow. I am stuck between it goes up with infrastructure, or if I need to make some system with food.

And that is my game. Email me (best way to get a hold of me) if you want to help in the planning, give ideas ( I need more laws, edicts, and such), or help coding, or you know, just want to see my spread sheet of the game.

Edited by Zanatos

First of all, you have to feed your people, you do that with farms obviously, Rice, Corn and potatoes if your land is suitable.

One of the other things you choose one of, is if you want to be Dutch, Roman, German or Swiss. The dutch give a bonus to trade (Dutch East India Trading Company), The romans give extra points to the construction. The Germans has two effects, you get more money from tavenrs and the foods man has more points. And the Swiss, well they have a super charged bank.

I have 9 religions in my game each with an effect for the three things you can build for them. The religions are Confucianism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hellinistic, Hinduism, Pagans, and Taoism.

Rice was rarely used in Europe before Renaissance when cultivation was started in the Po valley and in Valencia area.

Corn (I suppose you mean maize) and potatoes were imports from America. So your farms belong at the earliest to the XVII C AD.

Mixing Romans with the other modern people it's strange, but it's even stranger to have Taoist Dutch and Confucianist Romans. You will need enormous numbers of skins for buildings and people to cover all combinations.

Have just 1 civ like everybody else did or at least stay with an era.

Psh, I am not really trying for entire accuracy. Have you played Civilization? In the game civilizations last until destroyed which has no actual bearing on in game time and history. Plus for the moment it will not be skinned, at least for my first few drafts, in fact I'm not even sure how I will be doing the graphics or if there will be graphics.

Oh UNRV I call upon you for help. I wish to know historical objects or things, or events. Such as Hammurabi's Code of Laws, or The Oracle (delphi) or the Great Wall.

Oh UNRV I call upon you for help. I wish to know historical objects or things, or events. Such as Hammurabi's Code of Laws, or The Oracle (delphi) or the Great Wall.

Well I would be happy to help you if you would specify a little more. The three things you mentioned are very different from each other and if I would start naming such events, there would be no end.

Edited by Klingan

Alright, I have a habit of assuming people can read my mind so I will explain.

I am looking for world wonders, and they don't necessarily have to be buildings. I consider major documents wonders (code of Hammurabi, Magna Carta). Major places (not battle fields, remember this iteration of the game is peaceful), or edicts (Bread and Circuses for all). Well, bread and Circuses will more likely go under my laws section than the build able wonders but I think you get the gist of it.

Also, actual "Wonders" Such as the Pyramids, Stonehenge, Temple of Artemis, Hanging Gardens, are also appreciated.