UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What do you think?

longshotgene

If I lived in Continental Europe I might also mention Latin and Roman Law, but living in a former British colony one feels their influences somewhat less.

That suprises me, since the constitution of the states is based on classical principles more than our own. Or is it that our own country has diverted from these influences thus they seem more apparent? Or that your own experience of your home culture is too similar to the ancient influences for the differences to make themselves felt?

Caldrail, let's not over analyze this too much, shall we? On the points of Language and Law, British colonies owe more to Anglo-Saxon legacy than to Rome. I think that is pretty self-evident and requires no great posturing theories.

Concrete, law and social structures are all well and good, but my vote goes for silk underwear!

Caldrail, let's not over analyze this too much, shall we? On the points of Language and Law, British colonies owe more to Anglo-Saxon legacy than to Rome. I think that is pretty self-evident and requires no great posturing theories.

Pardon? I was genuinely curious about your perception of classical culture given you live in a nation whose constitution is based on their ideals. Posturing wasn't my intent, I do apologise if you thought so.