UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Gladius Hispaniensis

Downfall of Sejanus

Popularity. Although Tiberius was Augustus's successor he wasn't popular with the masses. Germanicus was, and whether you rate his ability as a general or not, he was without doubt more popular than Tiberius. Thst important. With popularity, you have more freedom of action, more support. To all intents and purposes Tiberius was looking over his shoulder at the peoples favourite war leader, a celebrity in Roman terms.

Yes emperors saw a danger in popular generals, however Germanicus wasn't just a general but the emperor son and heir apparent (as much as their could be an heir apparent in the early empire) so his popularity would threaten Tiberius much less then if he was just an ordinary general.

No doubt that Germanicus defy Tiberius will on many occasions and behave in a manner that would look to the conservative Tiberius as un-Roman he didn't prevent his such honors as a splendid triumphus after his dubious military achievements in Germany or divine honor after his death - this behavior could be a testament against the theory that Tiberius had Germanicus kill.

Didn't Piso have Germanicus killed? Whether this was on the order of Tiberius is uncertain from what I've read. It is possible but why would Tiberius do that with no alternative present in case he himself died unexpectedly? This had been a problem for Augustus up to 23AD but he had Marcellus and Agrippa to rely on for that circumstance.

As for Sejanus, the sources I've read don't say a lot of good things about him. Sejanus is blamed for the reign of terror under Tiberius. Anyone who watches I, Claudius will see what I mean by that.

Didn't Piso have Germanicus killed? Whether this was on the order of Tiberius is uncertain from what I've read. It is possible but why would Tiberius do that with no alternative present in case he himself died unexpectedly? This had been a problem for Augustus up to 23AD but he had Marcellus and Agrippa to rely on for that circumstance.

Piso was accused of poisoning Germanicus, but there really wasn't any evidence for it. Of course, with a lack of forensic science in the ancient world, evidence in any criminal case was open to many forms of manipulation. However, this case in particular reeks of appeasing the public and finding a scapegoat.