UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Resurrection of a Dead Language?

M. Porcius Cato

From the article: Ms. Abbott, a former Latin teacher, said that today

I wish I could say the same; I took Latin as an elective in college (by that time, I knew that I was going to be studying the history of Spanish and Italian, so I figured it'd be for the best). I swear, it was torturous; horrifically dry and dull. The only saving grace was that one of my professors was the son of a big philologist, who had compiled a book of Greek and Latin roots in English. That's it, otherwise a horrible class. I took it out of duty, really.

BUT...glad to hear that my colleagues in the Classics department haven't forgotten how to really teach and engage the students!

Let's hope it spreads to England as other American ideas have.

The idea of making Latin classes engaging for young scholars has probably been in England at least as long -- if not longer -- as in America. Our dear Flavia Gemina (Caroline Lawrence) was an innovative Latin teacher in one of England's schools before becoming an author. :)

-- Nephele

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received an email from a reader who teaches Latin. He assures me that one of his students has translated 'alphabet' as 'he has a mountain'. This must be a leg-pull, no?

I've just received an email from a reader who teaches Latin. He assures me that one of his students has translated 'alphabet' as 'he has a mountain'. This must be a leg-pull, no?

Or compelling evidence that the stress of learning Latin drives one to abuse mind altering substances.