UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Marcus Nonius Macrinus

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,438801,00.html

Its seems he has been found at last! Though I have never heard of him. Anyone here know much about his life?

According to the article I just posted for another piece of news, the Italian government plans to build a museum alongside the tomb :) . An Italian friend of mine living in Rome told me that they also plan to reconstruct what they can of the tomb from the pieces there and they believe that from the relatively little disturbance of the site that they have hopes of even finding his remains. If found, the remains would be moved though to a maximum security area.

Edited by Gardapthia

"Marcus Nonius Macrinus, born in Brescia in northern Italy, was a general and consul who led military campaigns for Marcus Aurelius, the Roman emperor from 161 AD to 180 AD."

As for that from this moment i can say i know who Marcus Aurelius is, however i did manage to find this article on Marcus Nonius Macrinus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Nonius_Macrinus

Although its wiki it might contain some form of truth in there.

-- Chris

Populist treatment of our subject is inevitable I'm afraid, and I suppose the reporting of this with reference to Crowe's character in Gladiator was inevitable. In a similar fashion, one can expect a 'gee-whizz' reporting of new discoveries in astronomy/physics, an inevitable reference to dinosaurs vis-a-vis anthropological finds and so on. But as I always say with respect to stuff like this, if it inspires just one person to come 'on board' then it could be seen as a good thing.

I manage to find a transcript of his tomb inscription:

[M (arco) NONI]O M(arci) FIL(io) FABI[A MAC]RINO [...]

COMITI LEG IMP ANTONINI AVG EX [...]

CITERIORIS ITEM PANNONIAE SUP[ERIORIS] [...]

PROVINCAE ASIAE QVAESTO[R]

[PA]TRI (? ) OPTIMO ET FLAVI [AE?] [...]

M(arcus) NONIV [...]

http://adrianmurdoch.typepad.com/my_weblog...s-nonius-1.html

Where can anyone read about him and know this was the same guy? I have looked it up in my library, but I cannot find anything. How do we know he was the same as the guy from Gladiator?

I dont think he was, I think he was just the inspiration for Russel Crowe's character.

Where is he written about? There has to be somewhere something written using that name and telling how he was a general who became a gladiator. Or did Scott just take the name and make up a story?

Macrinus wasn't a Gladiator, he was only the inspiration to the movie character.

Where is he written about? There has to be somewhere something written using that name and telling how he was a general who became a gladiator. Or did Scott just take the name and make up a story?

Seems to me that Scott took the name and made up the bulk of the story.

I managed to find this: What do we know about Marcus Nonius Macrinus?

Basically, the article states that not that much is known about Macrinus, and the little that is known comes from epigraphic sources. Which would explain why the movie Gladiator (which I thought was maudlin) was such a stretch.

-- Nephele

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame we don't know anything more about Marcus, he sounds like an interesting character, who led an eventful and successful life. It seems he was quite close to Marcus Aurelius, serving as his adviser. I wonder if he get's a mention in any of M. Aurelius' many writings?