UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Campaign Slogans?

Nephele

With the U.S. Presidential election approaching, I started wondering whether the Republican era Romans used campaign slogans to the extent that our politicians do? Can anyone here provide any ancient graffiti depicting ancient Roman campaign slogans?

I presume that the ancient Romans might have been puzzled by the emphasis that our modern-day politicians place on certain issues, such as George W. Bush's campaign slogan of 2000: "Leave No Child Behind." So I'm particularly interested in what issues might have been of relevance to the ancient Romans -- and if a use for campaign slogans even factored into these ancient elections at all.

-- Nephele

catoandcatilinapropaganhu4.jpg

"Roman propaganda cups, 1st century BC, from Museo Nazionale Romano - Terme di Diocleziano, Rome.

These cups, filled with food or drinks, were offered in the streets in occasion of the elections; the cups had the name of a candidate embroided. The cups depicted were produced for 63 BC elections for 62 BC. With the cup on the left, Marcus Porcius Cato (Cato the younger) asks (petit) to be elected Tribune of the plebs. The cup on the right is payed by Lucius Cassius Longinus (praetor with Cicero in 66 BC) to support (suffragatur) Lucius Sergius Catilina (Catilinae) bid for consulate." (Source)

However we need to remember the higher magistrates we're elected in the Centuriata Comitia in a timochratian method so at least for them it's was as much propaganda to the masses but trying to convince the members of the higher Centurias to support them.

Thanks for those pics, Ingsoc! So... Catchy political slogans weren't really used to persuade voters, but rather gifts were of the essence.

This reminds me of the gift food baskets that modern-day businesses send to potential clients, especially around the holidays. And, considering that the ancient Romans made great use of their patronage system, I can see the parallel here.

-- Nephele

Closest I could find for a slogan was : -

- He makes good bread

but theres a whole section here for the accuall elections : -

http://college.cengage.com/history/west/pe...ary/pompeii.htm

The fruit dealers together with Helvius Vestalis unanimously urge the election of Marcus Holconius Priscus as duovir with judicial power.

I ask you to elect Gaius Julius Polybius aedile. He gets good bread.

The muleteers urge the election of Gaius Julius Polybius as duovir.

The worshippers of Isis unanimously urge the election of Gnaeus Helvius Sabinus as aedile.

Proculus, make Sabinus aedile and he will do as much for you.

EDIT : -

I did find some rather rude inscribings with pics, However i wouldnt post it as its a little heavy, but message me if you want the link.

Edited by Chris08

Closest I could find for a slogan was : -

- He makes good bread

but theres a whole section here for the accuall elections : -

http://college.cengage.com/history/west/pe...ary/pompeii.htm

Some of these were great, and this one's my favorite:

I ask you to elect Marcus Cerrinius Vatia the aedileship. All the late drinkers support him. Florus and Fructus wrote this.

Debates, shmebates. Give me a candidate that the late drinkers like!

-- Nephele

I ask you to elect Marcus Cerrinius Vatia the aedileship. All the late drinkers support him. Florus and Fructus wrote this.

Debates, shmebates. Give me a candidate that the late drinkers like!

-- Nephele

Florus & Fructus? Maybe it's a typo and they meant latte drinkers.