UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

M. Porcius Cato

Ingsoc

I stumble across this Fasti Consulares which list a M. Porcius Cato as the Consul Suffectus of 36 AD. Now as far as I know the last refernce to the Porcii was in 42 BC when it's was mention that M. Porcius Cato, the son of Cato Minor, has fallen in the battle of Philipi.

I didn't manage to find anything about this Cato who was consul of 36 AD, from his name it's safe to assume that he was a descendant of Cato Maior. Sadly the Smith and the Oxford dictionaries has no entry about this person so I was hoping someone here could give out more details.

That's rather surprising. I checked my copy of Broughton's Magistrates and Broughton gives for the year 36 the two Consuls L. Gellius Publicola and M. Cocceius Nerva, and the two Consules Suffecti L. Nonius Asprenas and a Marcius (no praenomen or cognomen given). Broughton cites (for the Consules Suffecti) three different fasti as references.

Ingsoc, confirming your own research on the Porcii, Broughton also lists (with accompanying source references) that same M. Porcius Cato, whom you found, who served in 42 BCE as "an officer under Brutus and Cassius who perished at Philippi."

-- Nephele

That's rather surprising. I checked my copy of Broughton's Magistrates and Broughton gives for the year 36 the two Consuls L. Gellius Publicola and M. Cocceius Nerva, and the two Consules Suffecti L. Nonius Asprenas and a Marcius (no praenomen or cognomen given). Broughton cites (for the Consules Suffecti) three different fasti as references.

I'm assuming you referring to page 399 in Broughton's The magistrates of the Roman Republic, if so please note that you listed the consuls of 36 BC while the mysterious M. Porcius Cato was a consul suffectus in 36 AD.

I'm assuming you referring to page 399 in Broughton's The magistrates of the Roman Republic, if so please note that you listed the consuls of 36 BC while the mysterious M. Porcius Cato was a consul suffectus in 36 AD.

D'uh! Oops and sorry! *blushes*

-- Nephele

We know that Cato's sons and daughters survived (at least for a time). His eldest son was killed at Philippi while the ongoing lives and careers of the remaining son (and possibly two) are unknown. This mysterious Cato could very well be a descendant of the more famous blood line, but there were other Porcia Cato's around as well. My guess is that this particular Consul Suffectus was of the lesser known "branch" or perhaps more may have been made of him at least in the written record even if he really wasn't up to the heritage of his ancestors.

I didn't manage to find anything about this Cato who was consul of 36 AD, from his name it's safe to assume that he was a descendant of Cato Maior. Sadly the Smith and the Oxford dictionaries has no entry about this person so I was hoping someone here could give out more details

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

• 2 weeks later...
We know that Cato's sons and daughters survived (at least for a time). His eldest son was killed at Philippi while the ongoing lives and careers of the remaining son (and possibly two) are unknown. This mysterious Cato could very well be a descendant of the more famous blood line, but there were other Porcia Cato's around as well. My guess is that this particular Consul Suffectus was of the lesser known "branch" or perhaps more may have been made of him at least in the written record even if he really wasn't up to the heritage of his ancestors.
Edited by ASCLEPIADES

"As MP Cato Nepos II (great-grandson of Cato the Censor by the Licinianus side) died in Narbonnensis, it has been hypothesized that MP Cato the Consul for 36 AD might have been his descendant (eg, great-grandson?)"

Yes .

Marcus Porcius Cato "Nepos" (Gellius said that "Nepos" was not an official name for him) was the Grandfather or great-grandfather of Marcus Porcius Cato Cos. Suf. 36 CE . See Faventia 21/2, 1999 75-83

Las marcas de M. Porcius sobre

Salve, CC
"As MP Cato Nepos II (great-grandson of Cato the Censor by the Licinianus side) died in Narbonnensis, it has been hypothesized that MP Cato the Consul for 36 AD might have been his descendant (eg, great-grandson?)"

Yes .

Marcus Porcius Cato "Nepos" (Gellius said that "Nepos" was not an official name for him) was the Grandfather or great-grandfather of Marcus Porcius Cato Cos. Suf. 36 CE . See Faventia 21/2, 1999 75-83

Las marcas de M. Porcius sobre

[?

We the poor mortals without JSTOR access always enjoy such nice information pearls; gratiam habeo CC.

It seems the proud Catones were able to survive a little more than other nobile families by hiding themselves in remote provinces when required.

Poor mortals...LOL

Yes, it seems that they did . Very smart decision with regard to the murderous situation in Rome .