UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

It really is a shame. Take 'Gladiator' for instance. Is hollywood trying to tell us that the historical period of Commodus isn't worthy of a accurate movie? It's really quite frustrating.

theres actually a clip that i saw where a stage hand has on period clothes except that hes wearing a tight pair of blue jeans.

What kills me about all these Movies is thier recreation of battles.

Take a look at Braveheart and Gladiator. They show all the damn battles as a total mixing and cluster F#@k of troops. I mean it is common knowledge that most battle esp. ancient ones had very specific battle lines and formations. In which the only time they would loose any type of cohesion would be if one side became routed.

I hope Alexander is not like this...going to see it soon.

That reminds me, have they started shooting Hannibal yet? Or are they still hashing out a script?

Talk about sweeping epic, true history, massive fight scenes...

It could easily be made as two, even three pictures.

King Arthur was a good movie, although somewhat lacking in big fight scenes. I hoped too see Roman legions in battle, because I can't seem to visualize the Checkerboard formation they had.

Alexander is waste of time. There he was portrayed as a homosexual, immature, whinner and a freak. The battle of Gaugamela wasn't good enough; it didn't show the oblique formation and the movie put too much emphasis on his mother. Damn

Troy is a superb movie. I just wish the Greeks fought better. I used to think they were invincible before the romans came and assimilated their culture.

I liked alexander,the battle with the persians was good.Are the blades on the chariot wheels authentic? :thumbsup:

I don't think so, I think it was made of plastic

LOL :)

I meant, did chariots have blades on the wheels? :):P:lol:

Guest LordAbortion
They are generally all quite bad from a historical perspective.  I've learned to try and ignore and just enjoy the theme.  It's difficult, but it got me through Gladiator.

I think one of the best historically themed movies recently is Passion of the Christ.  I thought it was an excellent film.

yeah,p.o.t.c. was a good movie,but the roman torturers disobeyed there commander when they got carried away with the wipping.would they have been punished for that?what would the punishment be ?if any.The 13th warrior was ok,the one about the norsemen. :2guns:

P.O.T.C? I thought you meant Pirates of the Carribean. :P

LOL :P .Scythed chariots will make a mess of your ankles :D:P:P

Talking about the 13th Warrior, has anyone read the book it's based on by Michael Crichton, 'Eaters of the Dead'? It's fascinating, and it's actually an interpretation of Beowulf (Buliwyf, the Grendel, etc). Also, Antonio Banderas' character, Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan, actually existed for real (the first part before he meets the vikings is based on a manuscript dated to 922 AD), and Crichton just married the real with the myth. I really like that film, and I highly recommend the book, especially for Crichton's notes at the end.