UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Taizong

An excellent site for Roman Economic History

Walter Scheidel , a professor at Stanford University, has proposed a list of interesting working papers on Roman History and Cross-Cultural Study between Roman and Han Empire. I think this site is useful. For those who are interested in this subject, this may be a place for bed-time readings.

Salve et welcome, T

Walter Scheidel , a professor at Stanford University, has proposed a list of interesting working papers on Roman History and Cross-Cultural Study between Roman and Han Empire. I think this site is useful. For those who are interested in this subject, this may be a place for bed-time readings.

Scheidel of Stanford is a big name indeed.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Hi!

On the issue of Han coins, it must emphasise that not until the Tang dynasty that China fully used money for exchange. However, taxes in Han would be very different from Rome, as labour and regular military training were required. The Han army, therefore, were largely included universal consciption.

On the issue of population, chinese records provided more quantitable elements than Western counterparts. I do not remember the registered households in High Han (Wudi), was about 53 million, without counting jimifuzhou (minor ethinics who did not register.)

There is still, however, something I do not satisfy with the paper, primarily on living standard of both Empires. I do not know for certain the Roman living standard under, let say, Augustine's reign, but there exists several estimations for Han done by economic Chinese historian Wu Hui.

Anyhow, my purpose for this thread is simply provide a site for Roman economics.

Edited by Taizong

Cool. Economic relationships between Rome and other kingdoms, particularly Han China and the Parthian Empire, is something that has interested me for quite some time. I wrote two papers on the subject, one of which somehow was quoted in the China Daily a few years ago. Wacky.

Cool. Economic relationships between Rome and other kingdoms, particularly Han China and the Parthian Empire, is something that has interested me for quite some time. I wrote two papers on the subject, one of which somehow was quoted in the China Daily a few years ago. Wacky.

The state monopoly of Salt and Iron in Western Han could be reflected in the primary source Yan Tie Lu (Discourse on Salt and Iron). For particularly currency, you can refer to this site for translation:

http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/saxon/servle....lang=bilingual

It is indeed very interesting to study both Han and Rome, since they were two giants of the time, both were equally powerful in their own times.

Edited by Taizong