UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Gladius Hispaniensis

I need some advice

Ave

I finally have an opportunity to go back to school after three children and two marriages. And my love for history is as undiminished as ever. I want to take up history as a major. What are my future prospects in this line? Sad to say, most history majors I've known end up working at Burger King or stuck in some call-centre. With a family to support, what would be the best thing to do? Thanks in advance.

Salve, GH

Ave

I finally have an opportunity to go back to school after three children and two marriages. And my love for history is as undiminished as ever. I want to take up history as a major. What are my future prospects in this line? Sad to say, most history majors I've known end up working at Burger King or stuck in some call-centre. With a family to support, what would be the best thing to do? Thanks in advance.

I would choose Burger King.

First, ask yourself why you are going back. Is it to improve your job prospects, or is it to sate your thirst for knowledge? This is the most important first question to ask.

Guest DCLXVI

If by "back to school" you mean working toward a BA, then I'd say make sure you get a teaching certificate while you're at it, and take a high school or middle school teaching post. You'll be disappointed (I think) at the level to which you will be asked to aim. Still, teaching history is an option, but with only a BA in history, you'll be teaching HS or lower. I don't know about the whole country, but in Florida and Oklahoma I know that there is very little room for improvisation. You'll be teaching the kids what they need to pass the standardized test at the end of the year, no matter what they tell you. You'll teach the test.

If you already have a degree and are going back for a Master's, I'd say try to get a teaching assistant job at the college you're at. That's how my kids managed to get themselves through grad school. Lower (or even free) tuition is the reward for teaching as you go.

If it's not about getting a better job, autodidacticism is an honorable course.

Ave

Ave

Go for it. Don't take any notice of those who end up at Burger King. They cheaped out on the planning. Plan your strategy and follow it. If you love history, you're on a head start!

If I could sit at a desk for longer than an hour, I'd be doing it.

Take the oppurtunity while you can. Go for it!

Ave

Do it! you wont regret it, im doing a BA in Art history/Theology major branching off into secondary teaching, its suprisingly good and there is space for movement, but anyway if your enthusiastic about history why not do it :lightbulb:?

Ave

Do it! you wont regret it, im doing a BA in Art history/Theology major branching off into secondary teaching, its suprisingly good and there is space for movement, but anyway if your enthusiastic about history why not do it :lightbulb:?

Because of the economic imperatives that are involved. I have a family to support, not just myself.

Edited by Gladius Hispaniensis

Because of the economic imperatives that are involved. I have a family to support, not just myself.

I have a degree in political science .... and I am in management for a Call Center. A liberal arts degree is designed to improve your appreciation of our intellectual heritage, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a job tied directly to your chosen interest.

If you want a job tied directly to your chosen discipline, and one that will allow you plenty of employment opportunities, I'd go for accounting. In these tough economic times businesses and government now more than ever need someone to keep track of every penny.

I have a degree in political science .... and I am in management for a Call Center. A liberal arts degree is designed to improve your appreciation of our intellectual heritage, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a job tied directly to your chosen interest.

If you want a job tied directly to your chosen discipline, and one that will allow you plenty of employment opportunities, I'd go for accounting. In these tough economic times businesses and government now more than ever need someone to keep track of every penny.

Sorry Ursus. I must be missing something here. How is accounting tied to my chosen discipline?

Sorry Ursus. I must be missing something here. How is accounting tied to my chosen discipline?

What I am trying to say is, if you want a course of study that will provide you ample job opportunities that can make best use of said course of study, I'd go with accounting over history.