UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
longbow

Sarmation Auxiliary Troops

hi guys ,any one know any good links for the sarmation troops? thx L. :P

Guest zazazer

hey..in a movie King Arthur, the sarmatian knights often yell "Rus!!" does that have anything to do with the their ukrainian origin( History tells us that Sarmatia is a present ukraine)? I know Kiev ,which is in Ukraine)is like the mother city of Russia...

I have never even heard of Sarmatia. Or Sarmatian Knights for that matter.....I think it is accully a fancy word for "Scythian."

Zeke

According to the Book of Bevin Alexander: "How Wars are won; The Thirteen Rules of War", and in many encyclopedias, The Sarmations were a pugnacious people who evicted the scythians from the region north of the black sea. They developed the heavy horseman, who was the ancestor of knight on horseback.

This post is a little old, but to offer a possible answer the question regarding the usage of the word "Rus", Sarmations were known as the Ras, Rosh, Rashu, and Rus and inhabited Rasapu which is now Southern Russia. Three theories I can offer are:

1. English translations of the Hebrew word "Rosh" as a noun meaning a place in Russia.

2. English translations of Greek reference text word "Rosh" as a adj meaning Price of Rosh

3. Unlikley, referenced to depict the fictional destruction of the Saxon army in a 'epic' version as described in the Bible's Ezekiel. Where the usage of 'Prince' of Rosh and the word Meshech (pernounced Mo-shok; current usage word Moscow) are combined Pirnce of Meshech as one of the nothern tribes in the future invasion of Israel.

I don't know that much about the writers, director, producer of the movie but I would venture to guess that "Rus" is a reference to the geographical origins of the Sarmations.

I don't know that much about the writers, director, producer of the movie but I would venture to guess that "Rus" is a reference to the geographical origins of the Sarmations.

Agreed, Belog. I highly doubt that the use of the word 'Rus' by Sarmatians in Britain can be attested in any way. It was just for flavor.

Btw, welcome to our forum :)

That is a very good Osprey book, BTW. Doesn't contain as much info. as the Scythian or Thracian books, but certainly one of my favorite Osprey books.

The Osprey book is very good. If you are interested in Sarmations you can try to find one of the following.

W.A. Nabatschikow, Gold- und Kunsthandwerk vom antiken Kuban (1989 Mannheim)

R. Rolle e.a. (eds.), Gold der Steppe. Arch

hey guys, the sarmatians (for those who havent heard of it) would be in the greek and roman maps listed in the region known as saurmatai... like i said in another post, the sarmatians are of Amazon and Scythian ancestory. legend (ie, history) says that a group of amazon women were captured by i belive ionians and took them to thei home on ships at sea. while at sea its belived that the amazons killed all of the men on the boats, and knowing nothing about sailing, simply drifted. t hen ended up landin on the eastern shores of the Red sea. then known as the exuine (sp?). there they proceeded to raid the scythians that lived there untill eventually, a group of scythians grew close to them by living near them. they began to marry and instead of taking the amazons back to the main scythain villages, they decided to move to a new land (Saurmatai) they were allied with the scythains... but were quite different really.

all of that information is taken from Herodotus's The Histories, book four.

the sarmatian "knights" were, as i belive was once stated here on this very board, were mercenaries hired by the romans and generally deployed in the north western regions of the empire. (ie. britania)

as for the sarmatian troops, they were structured the same as the scythians. they werent really an "army" they were the men and women of the tribes (since they were amazon and scythian.. the women faught wtih the men...) they had no established place of residence, they romaded there land as nomads. so they were never stationed anywhere... when they needed to fight they gatherd together and fought.

dont get me wrong though, the sarmatians and the scythians were extremely clever warriors as the persians found out when they came to attack the scythians...

hope that helped ya out a bit.

This post is a little old, but to offer a possible answer the question regarding the usage of the word "Rus", Sarmations were known as the Ras, Rosh, Rashu, and Rus and inhabited Rasapu which is now Southern Russia. Three theories I can offer are:

1. English translations of the Hebrew word "Rosh" as a noun meaning a place in Russia.

2. English translations of Greek reference text word "Rosh" as a adj meaning Price of Rosh

3. Unlikley, referenced to depict the fictional destruction of the Saxon army in a 'epic' version as described in the Bible's Ezekiel. Where the usage of 'Prince' of Rosh and the word Meshech (pernounced Mo-shok; current usage word Moscow) are combined Pirnce of Meshech as one of the nothern tribes in the future invasion of Israel.

"Ruhs" as well as Arthur could be easily translated from ossetian "Ruhs" - light, Arthur= art(fire)+hur(sun). See the link about the link between osserians Sarmatia and Camelot http://ossetians.com/eng/index.php?showcat=jump&f=3

Try the "Roman Britain" site (roman-britain.org) under Bremetenraco (Ribchester in Lancashire). There are apparently inscriptions there referring to an Ala, Numerus and Cuneus of Sarmatians stationed there.

Edited by Pompieus