UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Questions again

Couple of bumps in my road I have to smooth out.

Did crucifixion occur in 150-ish bc ?

Were there any areas of Rome renowned for their squalor/ underworld nature?

Was playing a musical instrument acceptable? which ones?

What could a travelling soldier take with him apart from his military equipment and how?

Also, does soemone know how a wine-making villa was arranged. Like a floor-plan. i can't find any good descriptions or pictures.

Any Information will be much appreciated and thanks in advance

vtc

Couple of bumps in my road I have to smooth out.

Did crucifixion occur in 150-ish bc ?

It seems to be in the earliest stages of common Roman use. It became prevalent in the early 1st century during the Servile Wars.

Were there any areas of Rome renowned for their squalor/ underworld nature?

Such a depiction was well represented in the HBO Rome series... the Aventine provided the example they used.

Also, does soemone know how a wine-making villa was arranged. Like a floor-plan. i can't find any good descriptions or pictures.

I'm not sure, but you could check Cato the Elder, Columella, Varro or Pliny the Elder in various works on farming and agriculture. Links available here

Salve, VTC! G2CU! :D

So this time you're illustrating Africanus Minor, Polybius & Co in their way to the Hispanic or Punic campaigns?

Was playing a musical instrument acceptable? which ones?

Indeed it was, maybe this NICE LINK may help you.

Please show us your Art ASAP.

Ummm... Well i could show you my art if you really want.

It is JP Vieira who does the best art on this site, maybe you're thinking of him. I am writing a novel not illustrating. However thanks for link.

Thank to PP too. I have acquired a book with the info about winery-villas in just a few minutes ago. But the link will still prove to be useful.

vtc

Ummm... Well i could show you my art if you really want.

It is JP Vieira who does the best art on this site, maybe you're thinking of him. I am writing a novel not illustrating. However thanks for link.

Thank to PP too. I have acquired a book with the info about winery-villas in just a few minutes ago. But the link will still prove to be useful.

vtc

Ooops! Indeed :D

Anyway, I would really like to check on your literary art ASAP.

Glad to know that link was useful for you.

Regarding the Roman villa, FAUSTUS have excellent material and you can see some nice examples at HOMVNCVLVM, Brigantia by NORTHERN NEIL.

Additionally, reading Somnium Scipionis may be of some help for the general context, even if MT Cicero wrote it almost a century later.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES