UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman documentaries on Hulu.com

DDickey

Over at Hulu.com you can watch, for free, four documentaries about the Roman Empire. From PBS, the series is entitled, Empires; there are more episodes, in addition to the four about Rome, such as the history of Isreal and the Medici. Here's the link.

Unfortunately, it's about as historically accurate as most popular documentaries one is likely to encounter. They rely on rumor and speculation found in the primary sources and label them as fact.

Edited by DDickey

Over at Hulu.com you can watch, for free, four documentaries about the Roman Empire. From PBS, the series is entitled, Empires; there are more episodes, in addition to the four about Rome, such as the history of Isreal and the Medici. Here's the link.

Unfortunately, it's about as historically accurate as most popular documentaries one is likely to encounter. They rely on rumor and speculation found in the primary sources and label them as fact.

Thanks .

I am looking for a link for the 13 episodes of the History channel "Ancient Rome - The Rise and fall of an empire" (not the BBC series) .

• 2 weeks later...
I really wish Hulu would work in Britain. I've even noticed that some Youtube videos refuse to play in Britain these days. Since when did internet videos become region centered like DVDs?

Such videos are sponsored by embedded commercials (I guess this is just starting in youtube). Even when the sponsor is intnl (such as in hulu case), it is apparently handled by a national branch who balks at paying for expensive bandwidth not directed to their potential customers.

Anyway, I concur with the critique of the original post. Such portentious melodrama... sort of like the way a Hitler or Napoleon documentary would have been done years ago - a cartoon morality tale. I just saw documentaries on the latter 2 done in an adult matter-of-fact way, and just wish they could do the Roman Era in a similar way. The real story is so amazing and dramatic if you can just hear it instead of being prodded with overwrought music and graphics.

One alternative is to find a free podcast of a university course on Rome. I found one terrible one from UC Berkeley (which simply lambasted Rome as politically incorrect), but there must be more. I know of some good ones that are redistributed at high cost (TTC, TMS). And some free ones by questionable amateur historians.

Caesar CXXXVII said:
I am looking for a link for the 13 episodes of the History channel "Ancient Rome - The Rise and fall of an empire" (not the BBC series) .

I hope everyone had the opportunity to see some of the series. I was impressed by what little I saw: episodes dealing with Marius, Marcus Aurelius, Decius, and Aurelian. I thought these episodes were well done for the targeted general audience. :rolleyes: How often do programs dedicate a whole hour to the likes of Decius or Aurelian?

Edited by guy

Caesar CXXXVII said:
guy said:
How often do programs dedicate a whole hour to the likes of Decius or Aurelian?

Exactly .

Tonight's episode was also well done. It focused on Ricimer. It was even (for me, at least) very informative.

I recommend the series highly.

By the way, Caesar, you list your home as the "Holy Land." Did you mean Las Vegas? More precisely, Caesar's Palace?

Edited by guy

• 2 weeks later...
I really wish Hulu would work in Britain. I've even noticed that some Youtube videos refuse to play in Britain these days. Since when did internet videos become region centered like DVDs?

Such videos are sponsored by embedded commercials (I guess this is just starting in youtube). Even when the sponsor is intnl (such as in hulu case), it is apparently handled by a national branch who balks at paying for expensive bandwidth not directed to their potential customers.

Thanks for answering Caesar Novus!