UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Artimi

Roman roads Help!

I have been trying to find a good detailed source on Roman roads. When was each road built?

Which road went closest to Clusium and how far was Clusium from Rome. The time period would be around the Ceasar's assassination.

I have looked on line, I have some general books on Rome etc, but I cant seem to find the particular information I require.

PS. yes it is for a story.

I have been trying to find a good detailed source on Roman roads. When was each road built?

Which road went closest to Clusium and how far was Clusium from Rome. The time period would be around the Ceasar's assassination.

I have looked on line, I have some general books on Rome etc, but I cant seem to find the particular information I require.

PS. yes it is for a story.

The road from Rome to Clusium was the Via Cassia. It was built in the first part of the 2nd century BC, but the specifics of who and when are unknown. Based on it's name and the fact that it's likely to have been a consular road, possibilities might include C. Cassius Longinus (cos 171 BC) and Q. Cassius Longinus (cos 164 BC). However, no such construction has ever been attributed to them.

This chart can get you started on research for other roads... http://www.unrv.com/culture/roman-road-chart.php

By the by, the spelling of Caesar is a personal pet peeve. The man butchered a good number of people to make sure we remember him appropriately. ;)

Thanks Primus Pilus

I will check out the link. This is precisely the information I am looking for.

With regards to the spelling of Caesar, I am sorry about that.

Caesar is one of those words I have given up trying to spell correctly. The 'ae', 'ie' combination defeats completely, even with all the little hints a person learns in school. I do have a legitimate excuse now. Age (an on going joke in my family).

I should use spell check.

Thanks Primus Pilus

I will check out the link. This is precisely the information I am looking for.

With regards to the spelling of Caesar, I am sorry about that.

Caesar is one of those words I have given up trying to spell correctly. The 'ae', 'ie' combination defeats completely, even with all the little hints a person learns in school. I do have a legitimate excuse now. Age (an on going joke in my family).

I should use spell check.

BTW, if you want town by town and links etc, the Peutinger tables are fascinating. See http://www.romancoins.info/Tabula-Peutingeriana.html and http://www.hs-augsburg.de/~harsch/Chronolo...a/tab_pe09.html.