UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Norse influence on English

• 1 month later...

There's a number of names in the Scottish Highlands that seem to derive from Norse -- Tarskavaig, Tokavaig, and similar "vaig" names. Also the islands Raasay, Skalpay, and others with the "ay" ending. (These are all in or near Skye, where my wife lived for a time). I guess this more like the Norse influence on Gaelic, but these names get spoken more today in an English-language context.

So I suppose I would be right in assuming that Englishmen from the southern and western part of the Isles have less Norse blood than northerners? I imagine this would also be reflected in surnames - although this might be a little harder to pinpoint.

Surnames are not necessarily a good indicator of genetic inheritence, however a few years back there was a major study into the

• 2 months later...

An interesting addition to this thread is the article in the Science Daily:

Viking Legacy On English: What Language Tells Us About Immigration And Integration

'ScienceDaily (Apr. 22, 2009)

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. This might be a little off topic, but if the Norse invaders integrated so thoroughly into English society before 1066 does that mean that Harold Godwineson's army at Hastings had a substantial Nordic element in it? If so that is truly ironic because that would mean they were fighting their own cousins, in a sense, in that battle.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. This might be a little off topic, but if the Norse invaders integrated so thoroughly into English society before 1066 does that mean that Harold Godwineson's army at Hastings had a substantial Nordic element in it? If so that is truly ironic because that would mean they were fighting their own cousins, in a sense, in that battle.

My understanding of the Anglo-Saxon fighting technique employed by Harold was that the core of his army was made up of his own and senior followers household troops supplemented by a local 'fyrd' [spelling corrected] which is basically troops raised from the local area who were highly varied in how they were armed and level of training. As the battle at Hastings was fought in the south of england very few, if any, of the local fyrd would have had any Nordic blood.

It is worth noting however that there were two major battles fought in 1066 the first near York when Harold, King of Norway invaded. The local fird fought the invaders but despite taking significant loses the Norsemen held the field and then moved onto York where they took hostages amongst the local population. As Yourk had been a Norse city it is probable that a significant proportionof the lcoal troops would ahve had Norse blood.

The consequence of the invasion meant that Harald (of England) who had been waiting in Kent for the expected Norman invasion had to dismiss the local fyrd and hot foot it North with his household troops to deal with the Norse invasion and then retrace his steps. This meant that his household troops would have been pretty much exhausted by their journey and the local fyrdhad to be recalled to face the Norman invaders which probably directly contributed to their eventual defeat.

Although written after William was in control [consequently possibly a bit biased], you may find the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles on this point of interest c/f the 1065/1066 entries at the following link:

http://historymedren.about.com/library/tex...aschron1061.htm

Melvadius

Edited by Melvadius

Yes, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles definitely need to be taken with a large block of salt. I think few people realise what a close run thing Hastings was. The stalwartness of English troops in defensive combat was glaringly apparent in the battle and would continue to be so for centuries after that - all the way up to Arnhem in 1944!

Yes, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles definitely need to be taken with a large block of salt. I think few people realise what a close run thing Hastings was. The stalwartness of English troops in defensive combat was glaringly apparent in the battle and would continue to be so for centuries after that - all the way up to Arnhem in 1944!

Hastings is possibly the classic example of an army losing it's cohesion (although due to a ruse rather than crippling pressure) and no longer being able to put a united front against a resurgent enemy. However, I suspect that even if the Scots, Irish and Welsh combatants at Arnhem didn't object then the Free-Poles who were also there may have a strong argument about 'limiting' the defenders there to 'English' troops ;)

Despite this I agree with your main point that both Hastings and Arnhem as well as innumerable engagements throughout history do point out the fact that more men tend to be lost in retreat when an army fragments and is no longer able to face the enemy from a defensive/ united position. Such lessons from history is a major reason for the British army tending to put relatively equal emphasis on discipline as well as initiative which in several instances has allowed them to minimise losses or like at Dunkirk allowed them to path the way for eventual victory. Mind you such training doesn't always seem successful in stopping the Brass appearing to go out of their way to drop their men in it again and again :blink:

Edited by Melvadius

• 1 month later...
There also other words that might be in the same direction like fors (white water)

There's a waterfall called 'High Force' in Durham.

We have a boat in the North East called a Coble,they are of Norse design (beach landers) is Coble a Scandanavian word?

1216238_f7bb1c67.jpg

Edited by longbow