UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
votadini

Simon Scarrow

Simon's dialogue was a conscious decision on his part - he wanted to make the reader feel that these were real soldiers after all, so the shouting and swearing is all part of that. It adds realism, I think. I particularly like the "I'm not a fucking arse-bandit" line when Macro is approaching Cato about a difficult issue (no spoilers, you'll know when you see it).

Has to be the best Roman historical series of the last 30 years, I reckon. I can't honestly think of anyone to match the consistency in this genre. Lindsey Davis, Steven Saylor et al are mystery novels, after all, but Scarrow pulls out book after book that are all brilliant action-adventure. Each time a new one comes out, it makes you want to go back and re-read the whole series again so you can start the new one with all that back story. And, because the books are so eminently readable, you can tear through them (as you are finding) so the wait isn't too long.

All that said, he's been criticised for the dialogue and swearing in some quarters. On the other hand, some quarters are always going to criticise: to state the obvious, the enjoyment of fiction is a very subjective thing.

Talking of fiction, I'm off to kill Nephele. Sorry, "Audacia."

Cheers

Russ

I agree. I like the shouting and swearing, as that is what the Legionaries would have done. They are very easy to read, and they are re-readable as well, which is something that many books are lacking these days.

~I did not know he has been criticized though. That is rather stupid, as all the swearing makes sense in the situations where it is used.

I particularly like the "I'm not a fucking arse-bandit" line when Macro is approaching Cato about a difficult issue (no spoilers, you'll know when you see it).

I just finished that chapter last night where Macro speaks that line, Cato is a trip.

Am I to presume that there will be a Nephele/Audacia gladiatrix in your next novel, Lanista? Hot stuff! If she has to die, then I hope she dies after wreaking much havoc and bloodshed.

-- Audacia a.k.a. Nephele

Am I to presume that there will be a Nephele/Audacia gladiatrix in your next novel, Lanista? Hot stuff! If she has to die, then I hope she dies after wreaking much havoc and bloodshed.

She's about to wreak right now - its a bit of a twilight zone moment cos I just typed this

"Audacia strode out from the Gate of Life, her arms raised aloft. She was a thraex, armed with short sword and shield. Illeana studied her and was impressed. She was well-muscled and heavier than Pyrra, her defined physique demonstrating hard-training and her gait oozing confidence. The crowd hooted, always enthusiastic at the sight of female flesh

.... Sadly, I've got more chance of winning EuroMillions than becoming famous, but what the hey... *lol*

Cheers

Russ

You never know Russ! keep plugging away and one day who knows..........everyone has to start somewhere and Gladiatrix IMO was an excellent starting place. I for one enjoyed it and will certainly purchase the next book when it's published.......(That is if I get a walk in part too!!!! ;) )

She's about to wreak right now - its a bit of a twilight zone moment cos I just typed this

"Audacia strode out from the Gate of Life, her arms raised aloft. She was a thraex, armed with short sword and shield. Illeana studied her and was impressed. She was well-muscled and heavier than Pyrra, her defined physique demonstrating hard-training and her gait oozing confidence. The crowd hooted, always enthusiastic at the sight of female flesh

I just finished reading The Eagle's Conquest last night. Enjoyed it very much, despite all the blood and gore (!)and learned little more about this time in history. This second book in the series didn't have as much humor, but that was ok. Scarrows descriptive style is great, but sometimes I got lost while he went on about the landscape in detail. Most of the time, I just couldn't visualize what he was trying to describe but I know it was just me. Maybe a dictionary would have helped, esp. with some of the British terms I'm not familiar with. And a map!

Loved the very last line of the book. So, I'm off now to the library to see if they can locate the third book in the series "When the Eagle Hunts". What will Macro and Cato get themselves into this time????

I just finished reading The Eagle's Conquest last night. Enjoyed it very much, despite all the blood and gore (!)and learned little more about this time in history. This second book in the series didn't have as much humor, but that was ok. Scarrows descriptive style is great, but sometimes I got lost while he went on about the landscape in detail. Most of the time, I just couldn't visualize what he was trying to describe but I know it was just me. Maybe a dictionary would have helped, esp. with some of the British terms I'm not familiar with. And a map!

Loved the very last line of the book. So, I'm off now to the library to see if they can locate the third book in the series "When the Eagle Hunts". What will Macro and Cato get themselves into this time????

Crispina,

I thought Eagle's Conquest was the best of the first three so far (I've only read 3 and have the 4th in the queue for the next month or so). I noticed the same thing when Scarrow describes the locations...hard to put a mental image with his descriptions.

Will have to look up that last line when I get home.

If you're interested in the whole Claudius/Narcissus angle to the story, check out Robert Graves' "Claudius the God" - it's the second part of "I, Claudius" and he goes into some detail of his British adventure - VERY different perspective (though also fictional), and was nice to tie in with Scarrow's storyline.

Crispina,

I thought Eagle's Conquest was the best of the first three so far (I've only read 3 and have the 4th in the queue for the next month or so). I noticed the same thing when Scarrow describes the locations...hard to put a mental image with his descriptions.

Will have to look up that last line when I get home.

If you're interested in the whole Claudius/Narcissus angle to the story, check out Robert Graves' "Claudius the God" - it's the second part of "I, Claudius" and he goes into some detail of his British adventure - VERY different perspective (though also fictional), and was nice to tie in with Scarrow's storyline.

The line I'm referring to came as a surprise to me. I smiled, anticipating what book three must or could be about.

The librarian asked if I wanted her to get the fourth book also, but I told her I'm not that fast of a reader; although the books do move along quickly I think because of the short chapters, which I mentioned before. I was going to ask why you feel the third book isn't as good as the second, but I don't want any spoilers! As far as I,Claudius I have never read the book; only watched the series when it aired on Masterpiece Theater many many moons ago. Someday I'd love to purchase the DVD set. I have a question about another book that has been my favorite for a long time and mentions Robert Graves, but will begin a new thread on it.

Ok, finished When the Eagle Hunts last night - third in Scarrows book series. A great opening scene with a ship wreck that is written so well I felt like I was right there. Then lots of bloody battle and hand to hand combat that takes up nearly the entire first half of the book it seemed to me, with a bit - a bit - of romance. Seemed like I was reading a video game, even tho I never played one, when heads started to be lopped off here and there. I would have liked more story about after the capture of the characters from the shipwreck told from the woman's point of view. But you never hear from her until the very end and she doesn't say much at all.

I have to ask, is the character Boudica suppose to be THE Queen Boudica? And one particular death startled me with it's brutality and I have to confess the mental picture of it bothered me a long time.

Again, I have to say I did enjoy the book very much but think that so far it is the shortest. Hooray for Cato! But does this mean the dynamic duo Macro and Cato will be separated now? I guess I'll find out in book number four - The Eagle and the Wolves.

JGolomb, have you had a chance to read "The Eagle and The Wolves" yet? I just finished it the other night and the one thing I'll take away after reading it is: "GO! Leave the heads and go!" :)

Let me know what you thought of it. I waiting on the fifth, "The Eagle's Prey", to come as an inter-library loan, as my library only has the first two books in the series.

JGolomb, have you had a chance to read "The Eagle and The Wolves" yet? I just finished it the other night and the one thing I'll take away after reading it is: "GO! Leave the heads and go!" :)

Let me know what you thought of it. I waiting on the fifth, "The Eagle's Prey", to come as an inter-library loan, as my library only has the first two books in the series.

Crispina - I think you're psychic. I just started "Wolves" two days ago. Just got past the first battle with the Atrebatan auxiliaries. And yes, the Boars and Wolves need to seriously get the whole head-thing under control. LOL

So far I like it. I think it's a pretty strong beginning.

How does it compare to the others?

Jason