UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
votadini

Simon Scarrow

"The Eagle's Prophecy". Well, this book is staring out rather silly if you ask me. When I first read the word, "pirate", I let out a groan and all I could think of was the whole "Pirates of the Caribbean" hype from several years ago. Not liking the story very well so far, but instead of a groan I did laugh out loud at a particular revelation in chapter fourteen ( even tho it is REALLY silly). This is what I get for complaining about too much blood and guts? :P

But I'll keep reading.

"The Eagle's Prophecy". Well, this book is staring out rather silly if you ask me. When I first read the word, "pirate", I let out a groan and all I could think of was the whole "Pirates of the Caribbean" hype from several years ago. Not liking the story very well so far, but instead of a groan I did laugh out loud at a particular revelation in chapter fourteen ( even tho it is REALLY silly). This is what I get for complaining about too much blood and guts? :(

But I'll keep reading.

I found that quite a good story, as the Roman navy is largely forgotten in Roman stories.

~I am liking The Gladiator. I am halfway through right now and I think it is going to be one of his best stroies yet.

"The Eagle's Prophecy". Well, this book is staring out rather silly if you ask me. When I first read the word, "pirate", I let out a groan and all I could think of was the whole "Pirates of the Caribbean" hype from several years ago. Not liking the story very well so far, but instead of a groan I did laugh out loud at a particular revelation in chapter fourteen ( even tho it is REALLY silly). This is what I get for complaining about too much blood and guts? :(

But I'll keep reading.

I found that quite a good story, as the Roman navy is largely forgotten in Roman stories.

~I am liking The Gladiator. I am halfway through right now and I think it is going to be one of his best stroies yet.

But I'll keep reading.

Yes, I thought about that too - I agree a story of the Roman navy is something one doesn't read much about. Scarrow has such a talent for describing every detail, even the turning of the ships for instance. It's like you are right there experiencing that. But the story itself is still not very interesting to me, but I need to know what those scrolls are all about so I'll continue on. Can't wait to plunge into the next three books, but then again that means the series will be over.

Yes, I thought about that too - I agree a story of the Roman navy is something one doesn't read much about. Scarrow has such a talent for describing every detail, even the turning of the ships for instance. It's like you are right there experiencing that. But the story itself is still not very interesting to me, but I need to know what those scrolls are all about so I'll continue on. Can't wait to plunge into the next three books, but then again that means the series will be over.

I think the actual storyline for the book is interesting, but I like the ones set in Britain the best.

I think the actual storyline for the book is interesting, but I like the ones set in Britain the best.

The book is growing on me, story too. I'm almost finished, our boys are heroes again! But, I read your post about The Gladiator and am worried that I might not like the ending either. In "The Eagle's Prophecy", there's a line that reads something like, "....fighting like a gladiator". I so want to ask you a question but don't want the spoiler!

I finished "The Prophecy" and have decided that I did like the story after all but not as much as the others.

Now I am on chapter 14 of "The Eagle in The Sand", the next book in the series, and really am enjoying this book. Lots of characters' names, titles and intentions to learn and keep track of. But as usual, Scarrow writes so well that I can almost feel the heat and sand of Judaea. I'm assuming that this story takes place not so many years (15?) after the crucifixion of Jesus (30AD?), and that is who they refer to as "Jehoshua"?

I finished "The Prophecy" and have decided that I did like the story after all but not as much as the others.

Now I am on chapter 14 of "The Eagle in The Sand", the next book in the series, and really am enjoying this book. Lots of characters' names, titles and intentions to learn and keep track of. But as usual, Scarrow writes so well that I can almost feel the heat and sand of Judaea. I'm assuming that this story takes place not so many years (15?) after the crucifixion of Jesus (30AD?), and that is who they refer to as "Jehoshua"?

When I first read that book I disliked it a lot more than the others. I have never been interested in the Middle East that much. But when I read it again along with 'Centurion' I loved it. I think it is interesting how they have to comprimise with the Jews or they would make an uprising, so there are no Empire statues etc.

When I first read that book I disliked it a lot more than the others. I have never been interested in the Middle East that much. But when I read it again along with 'Centurion' I loved it. I think it is interesting how they have to comprimise with the Jews or they would make an uprising, so there are no Empire statues etc.

Last night I had a good chuckle and a down right laugh-out-loud moment while reading Chapter 29 - 30. And not because of silliness as I remarked earlier. The comedic dialogue that Scarrow wrote is so funny,( it's meant to be!,) and some of those scenes during an otherwise very serious situation were hilarious (and they were meant to be). I could picture it all in my mind, that Macro was being a real card! Even at it's MOST serious when they sneaked into the enemy camp, and the Parthian had to "excuse himself" from the others and make a trip into the dark, only to find it necessary to come charging back! ha ha ha good one.

I have a couple of chapters left, and I have to say I ended up liking this book much better than I thought I would too.

Last night I had a good chuckle and a down right laugh-out-loud moment while reading Chapter 29 - 30. And not because of silliness as I remarked earlier. The comedic dialogue that Scarrow wrote is so funny,( it's meant to be!,) and some of those scenes during an otherwise very serious situation were hilarious (and they were meant to be). I could picture it all in my mind, that Macro was being a real card! Even at it's MOST serious when they sneaked into the enemy camp, and the Parthian had to "excuse himself" from the others and make a trip into the dark, only to find it necessary to come charging back! ha ha ha good one.

I have a couple of chapters left, and I have to say I ended up liking this book much better than I thought I would too.

I agree. Scarrow has a way of making things funny, even in serious situations. The books set in Britain are the best, and I love it in 'When the Eagle Hunts' how Macro and Cato get guides that they had a...history with, and how Cato has to dress up as a celt etc.

I haven't read Scarrow's books but I was tempted to buy a copy of Centurion when I saw it at a supermarket a few days ago. I then changed my mind when I realised that Centurion wasn't the first book in the series. maybe I'll give them a look some other time, but after Christmas my reading list has gone up.

I haven't read Scarrow's books but I was tempted to buy a copy of Centurion when I saw it at a supermarket a few days ago. I then changed my mind when I realised that Centurion wasn't the first book in the series. maybe I'll give them a look some other time, but after Christmas my reading list has gone up.

I ordered a copy of Centurion online from Woody's Books, a paperback. Plus shipping it was $16.20. I couldn't find it anywhere in my area (which supermarket did YOU find it in?) and Amazon had it but only on back order. Should be here this weekend or Monday.

I ordered a copy of Centurion online from Woody's Books, a paperback. Plus shipping it was $16.20. I couldn't find it anywhere in my area (which supermarket did YOU find it in?) and Amazon had it but only on back order. Should be here this weekend or Monday.

Hee hee, the red crest of Macro's helmet got burned to a crisp. ;) I've enjoyed the story of "Centurion", sadly I'm almost finished which means there is only one book left. They are still having a stand-off with the rebels from within the citadel, and at this point I'm not really sure what is going to happen except reinforcements will, as usual, arrive in time. I think every book in this series ends with help arriving "just in the nick of time". But, that's ok. And will Cato finally get a girl? I'm guessing yes.

Gladiator in paperback seems to be difficult to find. Amazon says it's on back order, and other sellers want $20 and over. I found one seller advertising the paperback for $9.84 with free shipping even to the USA, but also notes: "16 days to go Preorder here". I contacted the seller for more info. Does it sound like the book isn't available from them until 16 days from now?

Gladiator in paperback seems to be difficult to find. Amazon says it's on back order, and other sellers want $20 and over. I found one seller advertising the paperback for $9.84 with free shipping even to the USA, but also notes: "16 days to go Preorder here". I contacted the seller for more info. Does it sound like the book isn't available from them until 16 days from now?

Here's the website. Wonder if I should just take a chance and order it from them?

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780755...9/The-Gladiator

Phffft. Just ignore another stupid question. I was under the impression this book came out in paperback in May of 2009. I've pre-ordered it.