UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
votadini

Simon Scarrow

Phffft. Just ignore another stupid question. I was under the impression this book came out in paperback in May of 2009. I've pre-ordered it.

It came in the mail today, so ready to begin The Gladiator tonight. The Centurion ended with all three characters, Macro, Cato and Julia arm in arm skipping into the sunset. Someone mentioned The Gladiator has an abrupt ending, I'm very curious to see what this book is all about. If you don't mind my silly reviews or I should say comments, I'll post back later.

I'm in the midst of the Gladiator right now. Great reading as always!

I agree, I'm only on chapter 5 and this time I like the book right away.

Finished this book last night. I thought the ending was done well, not so abrupt as mentioned; it could have had several different outcomes and I wasn't really sure which one right up until nearly the last. Cato received his rewards, both love and rank!

I thought by the 8th book the same formula of "holding down the fort and waiting for reinforcements" was getting a bit tired, but all in all I enjoyed the 9th. just as much. Is this really the end of Macro and Cato? I think I could force myself to read one more. :wine:

To be honest I didn't like how the two of them split up during the story, and how Cato got the command at the end. I can see why they did it, but Macro is definitely my favorite of the two and I think that he is slowly being taken out of the mainlight and Cato is sort of 'hogging' all the important parts while Macro does the dirty work.

To be honest I didn't like how the two of them split up during the story, and how Cato got the command at the end. I can see why they did it, but Macro is definitely my favorite of the two and I think that he is slowly being taken out of the mainlight and Cato is sort of 'hogging' all the important parts while Macro does the dirty work.

I see your point, but then again Macro seems content with his role. He seems to get great satisfaction in seeing Cato achieve, a reflection on his "nurturing" if that's the word (Macro wouldn't use that term however!).

I see your point, but then again Macro seems content with his role. He seems to get great satisfaction in seeing Cato achieve, a reflection on his "nurturing" if that's the word (Macro wouldn't use that term however!).

True, however I (and many others probably) would not like the books if they became all about Cato. With the books set in Britain they were both doing the same amount of work together, and now it seems they are going their different ways. We can already see that Cato will probably become an equestrian and marry Julia, but what will become of Macro? He has no political sense and he is only a soldier. So while Cato advances through the ranks, it is obvious that Macro will stay where he is, and possibly go down a promotion from Prefect if he rejoins the legions after staying with the auxiliaries for so long. For example, Gladiator was placed solely on Cato. They had Cato to get the reinforcements, and Cato to rescue the grain ships while Macro was a prisoner. I know they did that to show that Cato is independent, I think that future books will be like this, where Macro gets a second place to Cato.

And although Macro is happy with it, I would rather that didn't happen. Macro and Cato need to be on equal footing, and not one towering over the other.

True, however I (and many others probably) would not like the books if they became all about Cato. With the books set in Britain they were both doing the same amount of work together, and now it seems they are going their different ways. We can already see that Cato will probably become an equestrian and marry Julia, but what will become of Macro? He has no political sense and he is only a soldier. So while Cato advances through the ranks, it is obvious that Macro will stay where he is, and possibly go down a promotion from Prefect if he rejoins the legions after staying with the auxiliaries for so long. For example, Gladiator was placed solely on Cato. They had Cato to get the reinforcements, and Cato to rescue the grain ships while Macro was a prisoner. I know they did that to show that Cato is independent, I think that future books will be like this, where Macro gets a second place to Cato.

And although Macro is happy with it, I would rather that didn't happen. Macro and Cato need to be on equal footing, and not one towering over the other.

I hope future books will keep the two characters together - I like Macro very much also, but it would make for interesting story lines if Cato DID continue to achieve higher rank and because of all the possible conflicts and scenarios that could cause in regard to the friendship. Do you know if there is another book in the works?

Honestly, I seriously thought that it was the end for Macro and Julia when they were finally cornered while fleeing. I was sure Macro was going to follow through with Julia's wishes right then and there. :(

I hope future books will keep the two characters together - I like Macro very much also, but it would make for interesting story lines if Cato DID continue to achieve higher rank and because of all the possible conflicts and scenarios that could cause in regard to the friendship. Do you know if there is another book in the works?

Honestly, I seriously thought that it was the end for Macro and Julia when they were finally cornered while fleeing. I was sure Macro was going to follow through with Julia's wishes right then and there. :(

I think that future books will need a time where the friends hate each other for a while. I would hate that they would be fighting, but it would be great if they had a disagreement and stopped talking. It would make a good change. I do think there is another book in the works, but I am not 100% sure.

~You thought that? I knew something would have to go wrong, but I actually thought they were both going to jump into the ravine :)

Since the last posting in this thread, which referred to the last book as 'Gladiator', there have been more:

1. The Legion (2010)

• Blood Debt (2009, short story)
  2. Praetorian (2011)
  3. The Blood Crows (2013)
  4. Brothers In Blood (2014)

Two reasons I've raised this now.  The first being that a lot of water has flown under the bridge since this thread was last active, and some of our newer members may have an interest.  The second is that I tried my arm with this series, and am enjoying it very much.  It probably takes him a few books to really get into his stride, but then they become proper page turners.  All very exciting boys-own style adventures.  My only criticism is that I do find myself thinking 'here we go - yet another battle'.  There's a lot of fighting, and it's all a bit samey after a while.  But becoming desensitised to the stabbing is only a minor hurdle.  In short, my advice to you would be "Get it read!".