UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Soldier

longbow

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a centurion in front of an auxlia unit.

Decked out like that, and with the torques on the shields, it might be a unit that won a big victory in its past with a major general leading/raising it.

Of course, it looks like something out of Museum Replicas too :P

Hmm, I'm not so sure that's an auxilia unit he's standing in front of...

But definately a centurion of some sort(trying to get his rank by plumage won't work unless we have an idea of what time period he is supposed to have been from).

I don't believe thats an auxilia unit. It just appears to be an early legion formation.

Hmm, not necessarily early. The soldiers seem to be wearing the Coolus style helmet, meaning they were of the very late republic or into the early empire. I'd put these men as a unit anywhere from 50BC to 75AD(though really, that late a date is unlikely, it is still possible. It is most likely that this unit is from the mid to late BCs).

:unsure: Actually, I'm wondering what this centurion is doing. He isn't going to battle, but he has the greaves on. If he were dressed as modern armed forces, he'd have a on starched shirt while leading a work detail.

Maybe he's just giving encouragement to the men digging camp or doing drill. Looks like he could use some of that PT too. ;)

But, as far as I know, the decoration is just decoration. Centurions were allowed some vanities as long as it didn't offend the higher-ups.