UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
longbow

Soldier

Are the medalions adorning his breastplate not awards for valour ?

Yes they are awards for valour. Looks like a set of seven. There was just some initial confusion about the awards and when they were usually worn.

Looking at the picture, though, the concentric circle raised disc looks like a spear point catcher. That's something to avoid. The lion's head would be suitable deflection, but I don't know if I would wear both.

Then again, centurians weren't expected to join in the fighting very often, right? - I'm not sure on this point. B)

On the contrary Centurions were a crucial part of the fighting. They often sufferred high casualty rates because they were expected to lead their men from the front, but they were also very experienced, usually it took 15-20 years of active service to be illegible for promotion to Centurion.

Hmmm.

Unit cohesion being of prime importance, (keep ranks ,etc) I would have thought that while in the fighting the centurion avoid fighting. But in muscle powered fighting, most of the killing is done at arm's length- hard to avoid.

Okay, if I am going to definitely be fighting...I sure wouldn't wear point catchers like those circular decorations. Maybe it's the visual that overrides the practical aspect.

Thanks for answering.

Centurions definitely got stuck in, suffering higher than normal casualty rates, I believe. They also covered their mens' backs during a retreat to give them a chance of escape, one legion losing a huge amount of their centurions during one retreat. Can't remember the reference, but it'll be in another thread I'm sure.

Jim.