UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
gentleexit

Saturnalia

It's the seventeenth. Saturnalia. "The Saturnian Reigns return" as Virgil said. Here's Herodian's take:

the Romans celebrate the festival which they trace back to the most ancient of the Italic native gods. They believe that Saturn, ousted from his realm by Jupiter, came down to earth and was the guest of Janus. Fearful of his son's power, he escaped when Janus hid him. ... This episode gave the region of Latium its name, which is derived from the Greek word lathein, 'to escape notice.' For this reason the Italians continue to celebrate the Saturnalia down to the present time, to commemorate the sheltering of the god, and they observe at the beginning of the year the festival of the Italic god Janus. The statues of Janus have two faces because the year begins and ends with him. On the day of this festival the Romans go out of their way to greet each other and exchange gifts. On this day, too, they dine together gaily on the delicacies of land and sea.

There seems to be various accounts of its length (2 to 7 days). I wonder how it overlapped with New Years when the east made merry, gave presents. And when did it end? When did Merry Christmas crush Yo Saturnalia?

According to Adkins "Dictionary of Roman Religion", the festival seems to have fluctuated between 3 and 7 days by the late Republic. I haven't read all the primary sources but I imagine the varying length is due to the general instability of the late Republic when a lot of traditional religious concerns fell into disuse.

Christmas is first attested in 336.

I seem to hear that there was plenty of overlap between Traditional Saturnalia, The winter solstice celebrations of

Sol Invictus, and Christmas. As a method to keep a measure of continuity, but for different reasons of course.

Do we have any records of Early Christmas and its festivities?

I seem to hear that there was plenty of overlap between Traditional Saturnalia, The winter solstice celebrations of

Sol Invictus, and Christmas. As a method to keep a measure of continuity, but for different reasons of course.

I believe we have a papal decree of the late 4th or early 5th century condemning the participation of Christians in the Saturnalia. Try Googling. I also remember a church historian once making the point that the earliest Christians celebration Christ's birth in March.

Here's information from the Catholic Encyclopedia:

"At Rome, then, the Nativity was celebrated on 25 December before 354; in the East, at Constantinople, not before 379, unless with Erbes, and against Gregory, we recognize it there in 330. Hence, almost universally has it been concluded that the new date reached the East from Rome by way of the Bosphorus during the great anti-Arian revival, and by means of the orthodox champions. De Santi (L'Orig. delle Fest. Nat., in Civilt

Well this article is an easy read (sarcasm), But it's thorough.

I'm a bit disappointed that it does not go into any depth as to the actual celebration. It would make the most sense if there was a continuation of traditions under another guise.