UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nephele

Christmas/Saturnalia Quiz

I've heard from UNRV member Flavia Gemina (author Caroline Lawrence) and she's currently polishing up her final book in her Roman Mysteries series.

For those of you who are raising up Romanophile children of your own (or who, yourselves, will always be children at heart, like me) it will be a bit sad to see the adventures of detectrix Flavia Gemina come to an end. On the other hand, I'm curious to see how the story arc finally resolves itself.

Anyway, Caroline sends Saturnalia greetings to all, and she's put up a fun little Christmas Quiz on her site.

It's for the kids, but you might have fun taking it as, well. (I'm embarrassed to admit that I got two of the answers wrong.)

-- Nephele

What exactly is the "Christmas cracker" she is talking about?

My man (who is from England) introduced me to Christmas crackers. They're lots of fun -- they're little packages that you pull apart (with a partner) and they make a sort of firecracker "pop!" Inside the cracker is a little prize, a goofy joke or riddle printed on paper, and a paper crown. Christmas crackers are catching on here in the U.S., and I recently discovered that they now make Chanukah crackers, too. (I got some at Borders Book Store last year.)

Another fun thing about Christmas crackers -- you can find boxes of them themed to various TV shows. My first experience with Christmas crackers (in England) was with a bunch of "Danger Mouse" themed crackers. That's a British, James Bond/Danger Man parody cartoon series from the '80s. The prizes inside these crackers were little Danger Mouse figures (which are collectibles today).

-- Nephele

WOW!!! I'm shocked!!!

I can't believe you guy's in the States don't have Christmas crackers!!

You can't celebrate Christmas in the U.K. without crackers! It just wouldn't be the same. All sat round the dinner table, pulling crackers, telling the crappy jokes that you get and wearing the paper crown and not to mention showing off your prize or puzzle.

You know what you have to do now Ursus!!!!!

Go out and treat your family to some good old English Christmas crackers! :D

I got 4 wrong, but one was my own stupid fault for not seeing the 'bogus' answer. Still, not bad for someone who knows very little about Saturnalia!