UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Finally, Cleopatra Unveiled!!!

Researchers at Cambridge University have recreated the face of the Egyptian leader, who reigned from 69-30 BC, on a computer. The boffins based their model on 2,000-year-old drawings and images on coins.

Her skin was darker than modern portrayals of her, most famously by Hollywood actress Liz Taylor in the film 'Cleopatra' (1963), because of her Egyptian heritage.

Is THIS what the legendary queen really looked like???

What do you think??

what the legendary queen really looked like???

What do you think??

I think I will have to ban alcohol from that university when I revive the empire there. If you come up with Somalian/Ethiopian appearance for a Greek/Macedonian, wouldn't a sober mind suspect a bit of stylization by the ancient painters?

She and all her ancestors were supposed to speak Greek, and she was said the first one to be able to mumble a bit in Egyptian. She may have a trace of local blood in her family tree, but this wikipedia diagram makes it look about as tight/inbred/incestuous as it gets. She is shown at the bottom as CleoVII, apparently the product of several brother-sister pairings:

EgyptianPtolemies.png

Edited by caesar novus

As IMHO skin color can't be inferred from "2,000-year-old drawings and images on coins", the Cambridge University researchers might have erred on the darker side, biased by her purported "Egyptian ancestry".

Cleopatra on a computer, using 2,000-year-old coins and images

I have this feeling that those creators are the same imbeciles who support the "black athena" theory...

I am getting sick and tired of bloody fools promoting this African/Nubian image of Cleopatra. When is this nonsense going to end? These are monsters that breed in the fetid swamps of historical ignorance and this is a real wake up call for the people that make up our school curriculi - we need to devote more effort and treasure to the study of history. Much, much more.

Cleopatra, Hannibal, Rameses the Great - when are these Afro-centric idiots going to stop with their stupidity? Who is next on their list, I wonder, Scipio Africanus?

Is THIS what the legendary queen really looked like???

What do you think??

I think it's speculation, nothing more. Ok, they've used pictures as inspiration, but it remains a best guess (or even worse if you accept what our forum members have said above). If the researchers had done the reconstruction direct from her own skull, I would accept it. Until then, simply an interesting proposal and nothing more than media hype.

I am getting sick and tired of bloody fools promoting this African/Nubian image of Cleopatra. When is this nonsense going to end? These are monsters that breed in the fetid swamps of historical ignorance and this is a real wake up call for the people that make up our school curricula - we need to devote more effort and treasure to the study of history. Much, much more.

Cleopatra, Hannibal, Ramses the Great - when are these Afro-centric idiots going to stop with their stupidity? Who is next on their list, I wonder, Scipio Africanus?

An import point is being made here. Not only is this Afro-centrism annoying, it's dangerous, and serves to only discredit the credibility of a sorely needed revised African history. Had Cleopatra been African, my god, Octavian would have made firm note of it in his propaganda war against Cleopatra and Antony. An eastern queen was one juicy item to exploit, but a "dark" eastern queen? Ground-breaking and supreme propagandist and PR man that he was, Octavian would not have failed to exploit it.

I can only add to the general outrage, friends. Cleopatra was pure Hellene/Macedonian. As for Octavian's propaganda, he never missed an opportunity to throw in the word 'Hellene' as a term of insult, so I think we can leave things there.

Cleopatra was an absolute gift to Octavian. Marc Antony had sullied his image irretrievably with his association with her. In one respect because he was following in Caesars footsteps and thus potentially attempting to be 'king' of Rome (& Egypt - it was still an independent nation then), but also because it meant an oriental monarch was to be a partner in power. Unacceptable to many Romans on both principles. I do read that she got to see Octavian shortly before she ended it all, and one wonders if wasn't piling on the charm with him in a last ditch effort to save her skin. If so, then Octavian saw straight through it.

As IMHO skin color can't be inferred from "2,000-year-old drawings and images on coins", the Cambridge University researchers might have erred on the darker side, biased by her purported "Egyptian ancestry".

Cleopatra on a computer, using 2,000-year-old coins and images

I have this feeling that those creators are the same imbeciles who support the "black athena" theory...

HA!!! You're probably onto something let's get them prosecuted!!!!!

edit: why would she have worn her hair in that style?

Antiochus III the Great

Edited by Antiochus III