UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lanista

Gladiatrix up for an Award

Hi - Primus Palus has endorsed this, so here goes....

Voting has opened in the David Gemmell Legend Award, and my novel "Gladiatrix" has been nominated.

Its like the X-Factor of Heroic Fantasy Novels, and I'm hoping to be the comedy fat-bloke that gets the humour votes (making me the Rick Waller of Heroic Fantasy I guess).

The original concept was to have a public vote and then a judging panel for the top five voted for by the public, but now its a two-leg vote off. So if I get through, this annoying message will come through again in April

Hi - Primus Palus has endorsed this, so here goes....

Voting has opened in the David Gemmell Legend Award, and my novel "Gladiatrix" has been nominated.

Its like the X-Factor of Heroic Fantasy Novels, and I'm hoping to be the comedy fat-bloke that gets the humour votes (making me the Rick Waller of Heroic Fantasy I guess).

The original concept was to have a public vote and then a judging panel for the top five voted for by the public, but now its a two-leg vote off. So if I get through, this annoying message will come through again in April

That's quite the list of nominees... you're up against some fantasy powerhouses and some very promising newcomers like Abercrombie and Ruckley as well. I'm embarrassed to admit that I still haven't read your book, but I'm going out today to pick up a copy so I can vote pre-armed.

Ditto congratulations on your nomination, Lanista! I'll bet our Lost Warrior is feeling good about that review she did for your novel! See, LW? You were right!

I still have to read Gladiatrix, too. I just did a county-wide library search, and discovered that none of our public libraries in my county (here on Long Island) have your book in their collections. So, I'm ordering a copy today for my own library. We'll be the first!

-- Nephele

Congrats!!! :)

Just to add my congratulations. It sounds like a great book on a fascinating topic. It's great to see books on ancient Rome gaining public interest - long may it continue and increase! :)

Hi guys - first of all, thanks so much for your kind words. It really means a lot because this forum is reknowed as being one of the "go to" places for information on Ancient Rome. So any comments on here are absolutely great.

For the US guys...the book doesn't come out in the USA till April, but if you join Librarything you can get a free advance copy I understand (most of those guys hate it, though...c'est la vie) or you can order it from the UK, but that might be really expensive (though they are doing new and used for 1p + P&P so they they tell me. But don't get those...that would be bad *lol*).

But yes, PP - its a MASSIVE list of people, most of whom have the backing of the big publishing houses and their own fan-base. What I said in the jokey request is true though - I'm really trying hard because yes it would be ace to win, but also for the publishing house that took me on. I really want to see them do well out of it too. Originally the award was going to be a public vote, then the top five would go before a judges panel. Then they changed it to two public votes...I'm not sure that is the best way for the small guys to progress, but those are the rules!

Anyway - despite the fact that there are a few inaccuracies in Gladiatrix, I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you can get hold of it. I mean...I knew that the inaccuracies were there! I just did to annoy you guys... :)

No, I'm kidding...

Thanks to all and UNRV for backing me on this. I'll keep you posted on events.

And yes, if the second book comes you, UNRV is already in the acknowledgements bit...I wrote it after all the help I got with the First Dacian War questions a few months back!

Cheers guys

Russ

For the US guys...the book doesn't come out in the USA till April, but if you join Librarything you can get a free advance copy I understand (most of those guys hate it, though...c'est la vie) or you can order it from the UK, but that might be really expensive (though they are doing new and used for 1p + P&P so they they tell me. But don't get those...that would be bad *lol*).

I ordered my library's copy (brand new) from an American vendor listed on Amazon, for pretty much the cover price that Amazon in the U.S. will be charging in April. In fact, I got several of Caroline Lawrence's Roman Mysteries novels that way before they were released for the U.S. market.

I made sure to use the Amazon link provided through this website, so that UNRV got credit for the sale. (Every little bit helps.)

That's for any Americans here who can't wait until April for a copy of Gladiatrix.

-- Nephele