UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

OK - here we are again at the end of another year. A year that saw our second meet between members of this illustrious forum. While numbers were down from our first meet there was no difference in their success. Both have been exciting, interesting and on a personal front for each member a learning curve.

So, with all that and more in mind we come to the decision of whether to form a third meet in England and of course facing the daunting choice of picking an area to visit that will hold interest and appeal for two days. Amenities and places to stay are also important to consider but these can be chosen when a shortlist is drawn up of possible venues. Now I know it may not be a wise choice sometimes to go somewhere twice but Hadrian's Wall could be considered again if more members were to come along this time. So don't count it out. However, as I have done that organising bit I feel I should bow out of the vote for that one this time round but will organise it gladly should you all wish.

Time is pretty short for this one to be organised but it can be done quite easily with a bit of thought and consideration. So it is over to you lot now... just one more thing when choosing somewhere... keep it simple and inexpensive. Bare in mind that we all have different levels of interest in Roman History and the venue should appeal to all as much as possible. We also need to consider our friends over either side of the pond who may wish to try and get over here this coming year.

Off you go then..... :)

I'm game!

And I dare say you're not alone ! Indeed it would be my pleasure to come on the wrong side of the Channel to see how you britons perverted the poor romans who came to bring you civilisation. After all you had them wear socks, so what else could you have done ? To answer that questions I'll thus be more than happy to meet you all at any interesting place you can find, provided that you do it during a week-end and in a place which can be accessed without a car from an airport or a trans-channel ferry port city.

I truly wish that I could make it, but it'll be difficult. I hope you guys get a great meeting! :)

A quick addendum to the post I made at the start of this thread... the meets have been at the weekend anyway so far with a meeting up of the 'crew' around dinnertime Friday, visits to sites in the afternoon if possible, site visit and talks etc on Saturday, pub Saturday evening, Sunday would be a brief visit or whatever to a local site and then we all head home. That's it in a nutshell but it is not rigid by any means. Transport will be a consideration for those with no cars. Of course the venue chosen needs to be thought about carefully with this in mind. Car drivers may be available to ferry folk around but this should only be used if plenty cars are available for everyone to fit in.

Hope this helps....

I would be interested in joining. When are you planning to organise it?

Hi Aurelia

If this gets off the ground then that would be excellent but time is catching us all up fast with this one. I have no idea who wants to organise something as I did the last one on Hadrian's Wall and it was felt at the first meet in 2007 that we should have one nearer the south for 2009.

That is why I asked if anyone else would be interested in organising this meet as I know little of Roman sites in the south as I have not visited any really. So, unless anyone comes forward.....

Maybe WotWotius could give a lending hand to this as he seems to know a few sites down there near the south coast or wherever?

Let's have some volunteers....

How about Bath? I've never been there and don't know if much remains in terms of Roman ruins but it might be an idea.

Hi Maladict and Aurelia

April would be way too soon I feel as many folk would need to organise time from work and their finances etc. The best time from now would probably be around August or even September, favouring the latter for the schools to be back.

Bath would be ideal as a whole day can be spent in the baths quite easily. However, not much else Roman may be around but that is not a major issue s the second day can be talks etc. Still, this is up to the eventual organiser.

Places to stay? Bath is expensive and Bristol is the nearest city so thought needs to be given here.

Over to you.....

What about Verulamium?

What about Verulamium?

Verulamium sounds interesting! It's right next to St Albans, right? I would assume that accommodation in St Albans is cheaper than in Bath. What price range are we looking at? I could look up a few options on the internet.

What about Verulamium?

Verulamium sounds interesting! It's right next to St Albans, right? I would assume that accommodation in St Albans is cheaper than in Bath. What price range are we looking at? I could look up a few options on the internet.

Here's a link that will show you the Roman town of St Albans where there seems to be plenty to see. This might just be a brilliant choice of venue so thanks to Northern Neil for this one. Aurelia has suggested it may be cheaper than Bath!!! :thumbsup: Great if it is!! That'll suit me... and others too I would think because of the credit crunch etc.

Anyway, NN, how would you like to organise this one for around early September when the schoolies are back? If I do a little research on this too I may come up with some ideas so we could even work on this together. I know I said I would prefer someone else to do this but if no volunteers come forward we must try something else.

Verulamium - St Albans Use this link to find info on the town and to the left of the page (obviously when you get there!!) you will find links to other sites in the local area - museum etc...

I will see if I can come up with a nice hotel or b&b maybe in the next day or so - keep watching.

Well, I'm actually just assuming that St Albans is cheaper than Bath given that Bath is a spa town and very touristy.

Well, I'm actually just assuming that St Albans is cheaper than Bath given that Bath is a spa town and very touristy.

well it looks like it's accessible from london, so that's a good point. for one needs to think to those who might come from far away and do not hold driving licences...

For the date I must confess summer hollydays would suit me better, especially since september may be somewhat hectic at work ( we'll be launching a new intranet in my university... and i'm supposed to be the guy in charge of it ! )