UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The idea is to go with the majority in most cases so if September is too late or awkward then the summer holiday period may just be better for some. There is really no strict timescale or any rule/s bar that everyone who turns up should get on with each other and that fun is the main topic after the obvious Roman learning. So feel free to pass on ideas etc.

We really need someone to grab the bull by the horns now to get this going properly. Again a volunteer or two are required to get this down to some detail.

Any takers?

St Albans looks good to me as has been stated that it is very easy to get to from London. Personally I would probably go there first frm Newcastle and then on to St Albans so I would pass it initially on the way down but that is not a great worry.

So far only Northern Neil and WotWotius from our original army in York has said they may get there. What about the others? The Augusta, Pertinax, Caldrail, Andrew...

As for me, AC, I will definitely not be Romanising in Britain this year, due to all sorts of commitments. I wish you all well and I'm sure I'll catch up with you again next time.

Cheers A. Sorry to hear you won't be along, we'll send you a St Albanes slave (or maybe just a postcardium). In theory there's no reason why I shouldn't be along.

So is it st. Albans then? September - ish would be best for me, as August is pretty tied up work wise. But, I dont mind doing some of the organisation even if I cant get there.

It looks like St Albans then NN. I'm sorry too that Augusta cannot make it and if Caldrail does then it looks like a few of the original team will make it at least.

However, I would have to look at my own financial situation as I was made redundant last week and am currently looking for work in IT where most of my strengths lie. Even if that does not come off I may still be able to make it depending upon costs etc.

I think the main thing is to sort accommodation for about a dozen members so we are well covered. The cost here should be as low as possible to make it justifiable for everyone. Anyway, I will leave that to you NN unless you wish to draw up an itinerary instead with as little travelling as possible.

Come back to me with a PM to see how you want to handle it all. I think September is best all round but if most folk choose August then fine.

Over to you....

It looks like St Albans then NN. I'm sorry too that Augusta cannot make it and if Caldrail does then it looks like a few of the original team will make it at least.

However, I would have to look at my own financial situation as I was made redundant last week and am currently looking for work in IT where most of my strengths lie. Even if that does not come off I may still be able to make it depending upon costs etc.

I think the main thing is to sort accommodation for about a dozen members so we are well covered. The cost here should be as low as possible to make it justifiable for everyone. Anyway, I will leave that to you NN unless you wish to draw up an itinerary instead with as little travelling as possible.

Come back to me with a PM to see how you want to handle it all. I think September is best all round but if most folk choose August then fine.

Over to you....

Sorry to hear about your job situation, AC. Hopefully things will be different by September.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help organising the meeting.

Thanks for the comments re the job Aurelia. Hopefully something will turn up soon ay? Who knows....

As for helping with the organisation of the meeting then feel free to join in anywhere really. All suggestions will be looked at and maybe you will control that aspect you suggest. NN will help out I am sure and maybe others may yet find this thread and join in too.

I'll try and get some info soon but my job search is important so if delays are noted just jump in with ideas etc... I am not here to organise this one fully but only to steer those along after I did the Wall meet last year. The more ideas the better the meet will be.

I am currently away from home and have a limited access to computing facilities just now, but I will start to gather data on hotels etc when I get back home next week. Maybe myself and Augustus can PM each other as I haven't thus far done any organising for one of these. Would camping be out of the question? It would certainly cut down on expenses for everyone.

Camping NN? Well, that would novel... however, my lady wife does not go for that I'm afraid so it looks unlikely from our point of view. Interesting proposition non-the-less.

I await your return and we can certainly PM each other about getting things off the ground. That doesn't stop everyone else making contribs though!! ;)

I am currently away from home and have a limited access to computing facilities just now, but I will start to gather data on hotels etc when I get back home next week. Maybe myself and Augustus can PM each other as I haven't thus far done any organising for one of these. Would camping be out of the question? It would certainly cut down on expenses for everyone.

Camping? Thats an interesting suggestion. Remember we must all bring two wooden stakes to build a palisade, so spades, wickerwork baskets, and bagsee the job of standing there surveying the site.

Sorry. Sense of humour got the better of me there. Camping is an idea but more vulnerable to the vagaries of British weather.

I'm flying back to Europe tomorrow evening so I'll be busy packing today and most of tomorrow. But I'll try to look up accommodation options on the internet this weekend or beginning of next week.

Camping? Thats an interesting suggestion. Remember we must all bring two wooden stakes to build a palisade, so spades, wickerwork baskets, and bagsee the job of standing there surveying the site.

Sorry. Sense of humour got the better of me there. Camping is an idea but more vulnerable to the vagaries of British weather.

And I bags the job of overseeing the surveyor - can't have him standing against a spade now can we? ;)

I'm flying back to Europe tomorrow evening so I'll be busy packing today and most of tomorrow. But I'll try to look up accommodation options on the internet this weekend or beginning of next week.

Much appreciated Aurelia. The more info we can gather the better the options we have for accommodation etc. Go for it.

Sorry for taking so long to report back. Here are some useful accommodation websites for St Albans I have come across:

Bed and Breakfasts:

Bed and Breakfast Directory

Total Travel

Hotels:

Active Hotels

Official Europe Hotels

Priceline

Hotels Combined

Budget:

Touch Local

Sheriff Ratings

I'm not sure what price range most people are looking for so I included a bit of everything.

Sorry for taking so long to report back. Here are some useful accommodation websites for St Albans I have come across:

Nice one, Aurelia - I was just about to bump the thread when I saw your research. I notice there are a few hotels which are very reasonable indeed. Maybe we should get an idea about who might be attending, and start making some reservations? In the meantime I will be contacting the site museum and puttingout feelers for a block booking.

I'm game!

Scratch that. Unfortunately, in September I shall be moving into a new house and starting a variety of jobs. My apologies.