UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

UK Meet 2009

Sorry for taking so long to report back. Here are some useful accommodation websites for St Albans I have come across:

Bed and Breakfasts:

Bed and Breakfast Directory

Total Travel

Hotels:

Active Hotels

Official Europe Hotels

Priceline

Hotels Combined

Budget:

Touch Local

Sheriff Ratings

I'm not sure what price range most people are looking for so I included a bit of everything.

BUMP!!!!

This seems to have gone on hold somewhat... following Aurelia's research, have we any takers for a proposed UK meet in August/ September? I will be PM - ing all UK and European members very shortly. August or September is fine for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated in the thread started by GhostofClayton (in which I have asked members to keep to this thread for the UK Meet for 2009) he is doing a tour of Roman Lincoln. This for me would depend upon the dates in September - they would need to be 25th to 27th to make it viable in terms of costs as I now have to be careful after losing my job in IT because of this credit crunch malarky.

Northern Neil (hello mate - hope you're in good spirit! (and I don't mean whisky!!!)) PM'd me (as he has others no doubt) about this possible venue but it does depend on the dates above and whether all members who wish to attend can do those dates or others if agreed. Verulamium was, of course, mooted as a possible venue and maybe anyone who intends going along to any that is chosen should let their feelings be known here as soon as possible.

Remember that rooms need to be booked etc and train journeys planned so the earlier the better for arrangements to be made.

Anyone getting PM's from NN should respond asap please and possibly make their choice of venue and dates known here. We would probably go with the majority or if split the best choice made by our experienced members.

I will do my best to attend wherever but cannot at this stage guarantee attendance but don't stop the meet because of that.

Post your replies quickly so an informed choice can be made.

AC

Uh Oh. I really didn't notice this thread when I started mine (haven't quite got the hang of this World Wide Web thingy since they put it on computers). I was pleased to see the Verulamium planning had gone so far. Weekend of 26th September is OK for me, so would love to come along, if that's OK with you guys.

Ignore my Lindum suggestion (though the offer is always there if you fancy it.)

By the way, AC. Long time no speak. Very sorry to hear about the job situation - has it improved? I'll be coming back from a Hadrian's Wall Tour on the 1st August. Do you fancy a catch up? Can't stop off on my way up, I'm afraid - have to get to Kielder v. early.

Well, the Lindum suggestion seems to have impressed some people, including me. Also It would be a more central location for most members, and there are other advantages such as availability of (cheap) hotels and more pubs.

Well, the Lindum suggestion seems to have impressed some people, including me. Also It would be a more central location for most members, and there are other advantages such as availability of (cheap) hotels and more pubs.

I agree. St Albans may be nice, but for us Northerners it's a long way (especially with a travel-sick kid! :) ). I might be able to get her indoors to agree to Lincoln, but not much further away.

There're plenty of hotel choices. There's the usual crop of Holiday Inn Express, Ibis, Premier Inn, Travelodge, etc. The only one of those within walking distance of the city is Holiday Inn Express. There're a number of more pricey hotels in the city centre.

There're also plenty of reasonable B&Bs, but (obviously depending on numbers) they are less likely to fit us all in the same establishment.

There're plenty of hotel choices. There's the usual crop of Holiday Inn Express, Ibis, Premier Inn, Travelodge, etc. The only one of those within walking distance of the city is Holiday Inn Express. There're a number of more pricey hotels in the city centre.

There're also plenty of reasonable B&Bs, but (obviously depending on numbers) they are less likely to fit us all in the same establishment.

Hi GofC

You could drop me a personal message via the profile and link contained within if a meeting on Aug 1 takes your fancy. It may depend upon my sport and whether I get to a final or not but that will be known this coming Saturday when I play a semi final. Let me know your approx times etc and we can go from there.

And so to Lincoln etc. It seems it is taking over from St Albans so if the majority want to go to Lincoln then so be it. The date of the weekend of Sept 26 as Ghost mentions above is OK with him and NN seems fine with that. Is that OK with everyone else who expresses a wish to attend?

So, going on that data, shall we pencil in Lincoln for 25th to 27th September 2009? Hotels won't suit all due to cost and one B&B to hold us all is not so important as being able to get together early Saturday and Sunday to set the day off sharp. If a B&B has a bar then good but pubs can be found easily although it must be remebered that weekends can be busy.

If we all agree that Lincoln is the choice then we need to have an itinerary and maybe one or two folk can do a talk as is the tradition form the previous two years. Only stipulation is that the talk must be exlusively Roman. Ghost may help out here if Lincoln is known to him (Ghost?). Talks are usually twenty minutes or so and can be less but not more as this can eat time easily when more than one talk is given. Can we have some volunteers please?

Itinerary usually sees an early start to the day with visits to sites, snack, talks etc and, about closing time for sites, a trip to an eatery for a very huge meal at massive cost to the English Treasury (oh well, it was a nice thought!!) - OK, a modest meal and then to a pub to discuss the day and all things Roman. Friday is usually a day for meeting up with each other and heading off for a drink at night to ready ourselves for the next two days. Sunday, folk may leave early if they have to but the day can be expanded to include more sites if required by anyone with departures in the evening.

OK... any thoughts anyone?

Leave the day time itinerary to me. Weather permitting, I'll probably do all the free stuff (which is pretty much all the Roman stuff) on the Saturday. That leaves us to do things like the Castle, Cathedral, Bishop's Palace etc., on the Sunday, and people can drop out if they need trains etc. It can be made pretty flexible.

If anyone is planning on venturing here from abroad, it's easy to reach from Humberside Aiport (regular flights from Skipol), and not too difficult from Hull (overnight ferry from Rotterdam or Zeebrugge).

In an attempt to keep the costs low, can I suggest we use the Holiday Inn Express? That way, it should be able to accomodate us all, and we can book ourselves in online. Cost is likely to be

AC's suggestions sound great to me, and the hotel price of

You can include me too AC.

Great news Caldrail!! Money is extremely tight for us at the moment but we will do our level best to get there. Wouldn't want to miss meeting our pals!!!

Hopefully more will come too... where are you all??????

count me in. PM's going out to all who have shown an interest.

count me in. PM's going out to all who have shown an interest.

Excellent Neil

Got your PM in answer to my request and thanks for going ahead with it as stated above. Appreciate it hugely!