UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Legio X

Scipio Africanus, Julius Caesar or Constantine the great

If you were a Centurion or any other high officer, and if you could choose to serve Scipio Africanus when he defeated Hannibal at Zama 202BC , or Julius Caesar when he won the civil war against Pompei at Pharsalus 48BC , or Constantin the great when he crushed Emperor Maxentius at Pons Milvius and marched at Rome to be the last Emperor to control all the empire in 312AD. Of these persons, who would you want to serve?

I think that the average Roman would prefer to take part in a campaign against a foreign enemy (especially a celebrated one like Hannibal) rather than a war against his fellow Romans and that would also be my choice.

Yes, but think if the fellow roman was a bad ruler, as Maxentius, perhaps the bad treated people gladly would have fighted against him

Yes, but think if the fellow roman was a bad ruler, as Maxentius, perhaps the bad treated people gladly would have fighted against him

The ruler might be bad, but the legionaries would still be forced to cut up their comrades who probably had absolutely no say in the politics of the time. That probably was not a pleasant experience.

I would like to fight WITH Maxentius AGAINST Constantine, and do my bit to restore Rome as the centre of the Empire, and try to prevent the monster Constantine from gaining power, re - centering the Empire in the east, reducing the legions to a watchtower militia and introducing measures which would pave the way for the destruction of classical culture.

I don't care much for battles but I sure would like to see the city in 312.

And I know where Maxentius was hiding his regalia ;)

Constantine did much good too, he made some reforms who gave the slaves more liberty and other things that stopped crime, you can read about it if you shearch at google on Constantine.

If anything I'd serve Scipio Africanus in beating Hannibal and earning a place in history as one of many great roman armies, but if under different circumstances I would want to be under the command of the great Gaius Julius Caesar, but since his option is civil war, not him. I never really did like Constantine the great. I can understand why he changed the capital of the Roman Empire but, like I said before, I never did like him.

Edited by lost legion23

If anything I'd serve Scipio Africanus in beating Hannibal

Agreed, not only due to their threat to Roman homeland, but the stories of child sacrifice in Carthage are supremely outrageous if true (?)

Agreed, not only due to their threat to Roman homeland, but the stories of child sacrifice in Carthage are supremely outrageous if true (?)

It was certainly a practice that originate in the Phoenician cities. thought I doubt it's was motive to the Roman war against Carthago and as far as I know they never try to ban the practice.

It was certainly a practice that originate in the Phoenician cities. thought I doubt it's was motive to the Roman war against Carthago and as far as I know they never try to ban the practice.

Yeah, there have been many wars over a simple thing like ones religion but I agree that I don't think child sacrifice was the motive for the wars against Carthage, and remember the Roman religion wasn't so pretty itself.

HERE'S an interesting discussion we had a while ago on the subject of Carthaginian child sacrifice.

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Remember that in their eyes, the child sacrifice wasnt cruel at all, just a way to make the gods happy, im sure the carthagians thought the romans were cruel when they buired the vestal virgins alive if they had sex :lol: Edited by Legio X

My choice would have to go to fighting with Caesar at Pharsalus, based on two factors:

- The fact that I admire Caesar, and think he was in the right in fighting the Civil War

- I'm less likely to get killed. Only some 200 Caesarians died at Pharsalus to 15,000 of the enemy. Sounds like good odds to me :D