UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Forum of Trajan in Rome: A Study of the Monuments in Brief

Ludovicus

The Forum of Trajan in Rome: A Study of the Monuments in Brief, by James E. Packer

http://www.amazon.com/Forum-Trajan-Rome-St...ed_oe_p_bargain

I'm interested in this title available from Amazon.com at the hefty price of $40, used. Has anyone read this book?

If so, I'd like to know your opinion of it. The Forum of Trajan has always intrigued me. It was one of the last imperial forums to fall into disuse. There is evidence that it continued as a public venue until one of the disastrous earthquakes of the 9th century took it down.

Aside from an image on the front cover, there's no info. or review of the book.

Edited by Ludovicus

If I'm not mistaken the book had the misfortune of being outdated days after it was published when a international team of archeologists showed there was no temple at the end of the forum complex ( behind the colum ) as Packer believed and tried to defend in the following months. But my teacher also said the book was lavishly illustrated and was a beautifull edition. Just not up to date anymore...

If I'm not mistaken the book had the misfortune of being outdated days after it was published when a international team of archeologists showed there was no temple at the end of the forum complex ( behind the colum ) as Packer believed and tried to defend in the following months. But my teacher also said the book was lavishly illustrated and was a beautifull edition. Just not up to date anymore...

Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if there's any information in the book on the fate of Trajan's Forum in the early Middle Ages.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see some evidence of this. I have studied Trajan's forum as recently as two years ago, and there was no mention of this revelation in my class. James Packer is one of the most esteemed Roman architectural historians. I'd like to know who challenged him. As of the Giuseppe Grande map of about 2005, the Temple of Saturn is still there:

link

This is the most accurate topographical map of ancient Rome published so far, including many pieces of the Forma Urbis.

For more info about Packer's book, part of it is available on google books: http://books.google.com/books?id=aT7WobHFY...BupDnBA#PPP1,M1

Komet,

Thanks for your comments! I see via Google Books that there is some material on Trajan's Forum outside antiquity.

I'd like to see some evidence of this. I have studied Trajan's forum as recently as two years ago, and there was no mention of this revelation in my class. James Packer is one of the most esteemed Roman architectural historians. I'd like to know who challenged him. As of the Giuseppe Grande map of about 2005, the Temple of Saturn is still there:

My teacher told us about that fact in april 2007 and it was quite recent news then. The research was done by a team of italian archeologists I think, but since she told us at a time we were looking on the forum I had nothing to write with me :)