UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Is this the best song ever ?

Caesar CXXXVII

Nah... Stonehenge is way myhticaler than that.

"The Druids... No-one knows who they were... or... wot they were doin'..."

Classic. Shame about the stage set :)

"I think the problem may have been... that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed... by a dwarf." ;);)

Edited by Aurelia

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are at least a thousand 'best songs ever'. (Just talking pop music).

Here's my absolute favourite beatlesong

strawberry fields forever

There are many more I like very much : 'Back in USSR', 'While my guitar gently weeps', 'A day in the life' and so on.

Still, aren't the Beatles the most overrated pop group ever ? Not because they weren't any good. They were very good. But they seem to invariably end up top of the list, as if they were far better than all the rest. That's nonsense. There were dozens and dozens of groups and musicians around at the time

Nah... Stonehenge is way myhticaler than that.

"The Druids... No-one knows who they were... or... wot they were doin'..."

Classic. Shame about the stage set :lol:

Yes, you may think that is funny, but that is how they crashed a 300 million dollar Mars mission in 1998. By mixing up feet and meters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

Formosus

I enjoy the Beatles music as well, I grew up listening to them as my Dad and brother are big fans. As for The Beatles getting to the top of so many lists, I personally think it happens for the same reason why Citizen Kane is so high on so many film charts, simply because they were so influential. Other bands might have done things before the Beatles, while others might have done them better, but the Beatles seem to have had the greater influence on the music scene. Plus they did manage to produce a large number of really catchy tunes, which is always a plus.

Fair points, Decimus. If they ask other musicians whom their main influences were, they often as not name the Beatles. I am not quite sure why that is though. Maybe it is because the Beatlemania at the time has probably seldom if ever been equalled. They were groundbreaking

All right then, since you insist. One of the best bands ever, featuring my favourite girl ever.

Talented & beautiful. It wouldn't be fair if Debbie wasn't also one of the nicest people ever.

Here they are, twenty years earlier, when Blondie ruled the world (yes, they did) and Debbie was still a skinny thirty-something kid.

blondie - 'heart of glass'

And you must see this one. Two great bands and two great songs. Counterpoint they used to call that.

blondie & the doors - 'rapture riders'

Atomic, Union City Blue, The Tide is High, ..... give me Blondie over the Beatles, any day.

Formosus

• 2 weeks later...

"Is this the best song ever ?

I saw them just a few years later in, 1975. Yes I did. It was no doubt the best show I've ever seen.

This clip is pretty much how I remember it. Most probably exactly the same line up. Except here you only get a feeble glimpse of how those girls could dance. And Tina danced those three Ikettes right off the stage. They had to call in the firebrigade to keep it from catching fire, as I remember it.

Ike & Tina were a last minute replacement for Lou Reed who was the top of the bill at a rock festival at the time. Ike & Tina were not popular at all with the cool people in those days. They were considered pass

You guys must be on drugs... this is clearly the best song ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edaJP3Lp0Gg

Ye gods.

-- Nephele

brian ferry - slave to love

Is he the coolest guy, or what ?

roxy music - if there is something

This is my favourite Roxy song.

Roxy Music were a sensation when they made their first appearance.

They broke all the rules, even though there weren't any.

# Shake your head now with your pony tale #

Formosus

Edited by Formosus Viriustus

And now for something completely different ....

New York's best band or even the best rockband ever - although NY also has Blondie, who in the beginning very much followed in the tracks laid by VU.

Certainly the most groundbreaking.

Two of their less well known numbers. Both from the 1968 album White Light / White Heat.

Not for the fainthearted. Go to full screen and enjoy.

velvet underground - sister ray ( all 17 1/2 min of it )

No pictures here, but the story is really 'riveting'.

And for those of you who really have no idea who they are. ( Can't imagine, but there. )

velvet underground - exploding plastic inevitable ( a bit of bio )

By the way, the Velvet's iconic Banana album was released 3 months before the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper's in 1967. And the White Light / White Heat album only a few months after it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velvet_Underground_%26_Nico

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Light/White_Heat

Rolling Stone of course has got it all wrong. It should be the Banana album in first place ( for being the first Velvet Underground album ) and Sergeant Pepper's in thirteenth or so. At best.

F :lol: rmosus

Chick music

We've had quite enough boys' stuff here already. Time to think about the ladies. So here's a few of my favourite chick songs.

sinnead o'connor - nothing compares 2u

( He looks quite sophisticated here, doesn't he, girls ? A professor and a rock musician ? What more can you want ?)

And the ultima tearjerker. Yes, I'm a schmuck, I know.

bread - if

Formosus

xxx

Chick music

Formosus

xxx

How could I possibly forget this tribute to the man himself ?

Yes, in his younger days he was known as either 'God' or 'Slow Hand'. 'God' for the guys.

No, unlike all those other musical sistas, the Pointers' really are sistas. Originally there were even four of them. But after Anita left, June, Cute and Bug carried on as a trio. ( Those names are made up, in case you wondered, all the rest is the godgiven truth.)

F :oops: rmosus