UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lost_Warrior

Lucifer

An acquaintance and I were discussing Lucifer. She comes from a Christian background and didn't know anything about Lucifer as a Roman god and when I mentioned that he was known as the Roman god of the Morning Star, she asked me for more information.

It occurred to me that I really don't know anything about Lucifer as a Roman god. Most of the information comes from a Christian viewpoint...and there isn't much mention of him on this site either. How much information is out there about Lucifer in Roman religion, and where can I find it? Anyone here know any more about him than I do?

The name means "light bringer" and simply refers to the planet Venus as it shines in the morning. It appears in Latin poetry at various points, though not being able to read cultured Latin I can't really speak intelligently about it.

Here is a site ... but take it with a grain of salt: http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/l/lucifer.html

Ah I see. I did read something about the name Lucifer referring to the actual "morning star". Unfortunately I couldn't find much more than that.

Thanks for the link. I find their viewpoint on the relationship between Lucifer and God interesting, though I don't know how much of it is true or not.

In Romanian the morning star (and the evening star) it's named Luceafar.

I dont understand how could the Roman associate one star with two deities. How could the one star be both Venus and the God Lucifer?

I'm not sure of the exact answer. But there was no sort of fixed theology in Roman religion. There were a variety of different beliefs and interpretations existing side by side. Some people thought Apollo as the sun, others Serapis, others Sol Invictus, etc.

Fair point Ursus. I suppose it's entirely possible that the star was Venus to one group and Lucifer to another.

It could also be related to the Rumanian issue that Kosmo referred to: that, say, the morning star was referred to as Venus, the evening star as Lucifer--meaning, that they were thought of as different entities by them. After all, both 'morning star' and 'evening star' in English refer to the same entity: the planet Venus. But I'm only guessing here.

Edited by docoflove1974

That's a good thought too. I had been discussing this with a friend and we couldn't make sense of how it was Venus at night, but Lucifer in the morning, since we now know that it's the same star. (Planet, actually)

Though that could make for a really interesting myth. :)

In romanian we say "Luceafar de seara" for the Evening Star and "Luceafar de dimineata" for the Morning Star (spelling without romanian diacritics). This is a popular and poetic word while in an astronomical or astrological speech the planet will be still named Venus. "Luceafar" with some other added words like beautiful or midnight were used for some bright stars like Vega, Aldebaran and Hiperion but this uses are long obsolete and I found out about them from a dictionary.

Maybe for the romans was the same and ordinary people said Lucifer while more educated ones said Venus, using astronomical and astrological conceptions borrowed from Greeks and Babylonians.

The continuous use of Lucifer in Vulgar Latin it's the only explanation for the word survival in romanian language. I think it's related with "luce" meaning light.

The people that said Morning Star and Evening Star had in the beginning no idea that it was the same planet.

Did one name supplant the other. This could easily be the case.

After all wasn't Apollo originally the Sun God?

And then wasn't he was replaced by Helios when he picked up other duties?

after all a god of poetry wisdom oracles etc. couldn't spend all day every day in a flaming chariot.

This also begs the question as to whether or not there was a sense that the planets actually were their Gods?

This also begs the question as to whether or not there was a sense that the planets actually were their Gods?

I actually do remember hearing that they did indeed believe that their planets were their gods, at least, at some points during history. I can't remember where I heard it though.

A quote from the Bible which might be relevant here - Isaiah 14.12 'How are thou fallen Lucifer, son of the morning.' I'm not a Bible scholar, but this suggests that Lucifer the light-bringer is also known to the Judeo-Christian tradition.

A quote from the Bible which might be relevant here - Isaiah 14.12 'How are thou fallen Lucifer, son of the morning.' I'm not a Bible scholar, but this suggests that Lucifer the light-bringer is also known to the Judeo-Christian tradition.

In the Hebrew bible (Yisheyah 14:12), though, your Lucifer is called "Heylel ben Shachar" ("shining son of the morning"). And I believe the reference is to Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon -- not to any Roman deity. (I'm not a bible scholar, either, but I am familiar with the Jewish bible. :) )

Just something else to add regarding Lucifer: Modern-day Luciferianism is an offshoot of modern-day Satanism. One major difference between the two being that the theistic Luciferians view Satan/Lucifer as an actual, benevolent god. Whereas the atheistic Church of Satan views Satan as merely an archetype representing human will, passion, etc.

Lost Warrior, here's a link to Charles G. Leland's 1899 work titled Aradia: or, the Gospel of the Witches:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/aradia/index.htm

If I'm remembering correctly, you'll find one legend of Lucifer in there, referring to Lucifer as being the brother of Diana, according to this old sect of Italian witchcraft. But it's been a long time since I read this, so I suggest you check it out for yourself.

-- Nephele