UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Fedor

The great Hannibal according to history channel

I would agree with Russ that a desire to beat heads against walls because of the vehemence of a few individuals who take every opportunity to defend their misperceptions of history based on innacurate films does not mean that we on the UNVR forum can't find something to enjoy in those same programmes.

I won't go so far as to day that 'any' historical programme is a good thing - I have seen all too many badly scripted and/or acted efforts which even if not actively irritating are often simply boring. However we do need something to appear on the screens on a fairly regular basis to help draw people into an interest in history.

Personally I could wish that the History Channel hadn't gone down the route they have as it has the potential to help spread several quite contentious fallicies about this particular period in history but at lest it was made and has given people something to discuss on a history forum.

Now where is my rubber brick for when I get around to watching it myself ;)

I have seen brief clips of this on the internet. It does seem to jumping on to the 300 wagon, although I must admit to being pleasently surprised that the History Channel still covers ancient history. It was pushed to the margins by World War 2 programming a few years back, and with other shows on ce Road Truckers, UFOs and Ghosts It does seem like a good sign that ancient history is making a comeback on the channel.

Hi All,

new to the post, fan of the topic, I was hoping to meet some people who are far more informed and intelligent than i am...

I am in the midst of writing a television mini-series on the second PUNIC WAR. I have the Drama and the poetic liberties pretty clear in my head - but i want to get the historical facts right.

Particularly, id like to know what the Roman propagandist(polibius - livy) didnt tell us about Hannibal Barca. What they didnt tell us about the scipio's

who were they married to, their lovers, their illegitimate children etc etc etc

Hannibal spent 15 years in Italy, 13 of which ruling Capua, did he take no LOVERS?

i have so much info already, and I have my story completely outlined, But like I said before, I wanted to consult some experts, to give the history the respect it deserves... anyone interested in helping me out?