UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Pig's nipple scratchings

I've just watched a TV programme called Hestons Feasts, some of the brits here might be familiar with the show. It's about a chef called Heston Blumenthal who cooks a feast for certain Z list celebrities all his recipes are taken from different from times in history, tonight's show was called The Roman Feast.

The menu goes as follows........

Pigs nipple scratchings, Calf's brains custard, Trojan pig which is a whole hog filled with edible intestines and an ejaculating cake!

His recipes are taken from Apicius which is the title of a collection of Roman cookery recipe's thought to have been compiled in the late 4th century AD, he attempts to follow the ancient way of cooking and even makes his own Garum.

Click HERE to watch the show, it lasts about 50mins but is well worth watching.

Watch out for the pig cooked in a hot tub.....Genius!

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

"You need to be within the UK or the Republic of Ireland to watch Channel 4 programmes."

Aw, hell. Well, maybe somebody will put it on YouTube.

-- Nephele

By sheer good fortune I saw this last night. I suspect the 'realistic Roman dinner' was nothing of the sort (no slaves, a single linear table with modern upright chairs, no additional entertainment - apart from the Marquis of Bath that is).

I wish he served the the prototype of the ejaculating cake. That would have been fun, watching cake shrapnel take out the guests in one big explosion. He did cheat there didn't he? Don't see any mention of dry ice in Roman literature.

What was interesting, and indeed the primary motive of Hestons attempt to recreate the dinner in the first place, was the aspect that food should not only be interesting and tasty, but an experience in itself. There he obviously succeeded. It struck me though that creating this meal wasn't exactly cheap, and as always, the indulgences of the wealthy minority of Rome get all the attention.

I've just watched a TV programme called Hestons Feasts, some of the brits here might be familiar with the show. It's about a chef called Heston Blumenthal who cooks a feast for certain Z list celebrities all his recipes are taken from different from times in history, tonight's show was called The Roman Feast.

The menu goes as follows........

Pigs nipple scratchings, Calf's brains custard, Trojan pig which is a whole hog filled with edible intestines and an ejaculating cake!

His recipes are taken from Apicius which is the title of a collection of Roman cookery recipe's thought to have been compiled in the late 4th century AD, he attempts to follow the ancient way of cooking and even makes his own Garum.

Click HERE to watch the show, it lasts about 50mins but is well worth watching.

Watch out for the pig cooked in a hot tub.....Genius!

Yes I saw this last night. I have been watching the series. It's interesting that he takes old recipes and ideas for meals or feasts that have become totally alien to us through time and then adds a bizarre modern twist, which instead of making it more acceptable makes it even more alien.

Pork scratchings are bad enough at the best of times. I don't think I'd like a nippley one though!

Come on someone, help Nephele out.

I don't have the software or know-how to do the you tube thing.

My PC still has a starting handle for cold mornings! ;)

This whole series is brilliant.

He goes into loads of detail about the history using as much source material as possible and where he uses modern facilities such as a hot tub to slow boil a whole pig, he admits he is not following the recipe.

He did make his own garum but cut a few corners and he admitted it and explained why.

True the diners sat and there wasn't entertainment. True he didn't serve up a peasant meal.

TV has an hour to impress a fickle audience, we are not going to sit enthralled as he rustles up a simple broth with more gruel than meat.

Mind you this is the guy who sells "snail porridge" :lol: in his five star restaurant to diners who will cheerfully part with

Oh sorry I can't resist.

Wolf nipple chips!

Get 'em while they're 'ot - they're lovely!

Some of this material is actually available on YouTube and similar sites; I haven't been able to check on the "Roman feast" yet.

From what I saw, Mr. Blumenthal is clearly playing with his spectator's nausea; this may have begun with some hard history and science, but it quickly became into unpolluted showbusiness.

BTW, I can't see any problem for eating ANY portion of porcine flesh; besides, both insects and bull's testicles are regular food in many countries. As most ingredients, they may be tasty (even delicious) in the right hands.

Definitely true Sylla.

If this man can flog snail porridge to rich discerning diners in his restaurant (emperors new dish notwithstanding) then I'm sure he can make a tasty morsel out of pigs nipples.

Also true that his final creations pushed factuality (did I just make up a new and terribly clumsy word?) aside in favour of edibility and televisual entertainment, approximately in that order.

But I trust you agree that he did make some apology to purists for this small peccadillo.

Edited by Trethiwr