UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Breach of conduct & Roman law

frankq

This is posted in Academia because of my reaction to a book by Martin Goodman re the ruling class of Judea. He does not seem to question the following. I somehow have problems with it. The quotations are from Josephus' BJ.

One of the prime events that sparked the revolt in Judea was the procurator Florus' heavy handed dealings with the elders when they refused to ID the young dissidents who had mocked Florus' authority. So:

And what made this calamity the heavier was this new method of Roman barbarity; for Florus ventured then to do what no one had done before, that is, to have men of the equestrian order whipped (21) and nailed to the cross before his tribunal; who, although they were by birth Jews, yet were they of Roman dignity notwithstanding.

The footnote on this reads:

21) Here we have examples of native Jews who were of the equestrian order among the Romans, and so ought never to have been whipped or crucified, according to the Roman laws. See almost the like case in St. Paul himself, Acts 22:25-29.

Scourging was one thing perhaps, but crucifying a Roman citizen is almost unthinkable. Of course, a tribunal was called. Is there some nuance in Roman law that would have permitted this?

I wonder whether Josephus was pressing things here in order to make Florus look like such a blackguard. Does any one know of a similar circumstance like this in the Empire?

During the republic, the governor of Sicily -- Gaius Verres -- also had some Roman citizens crucified. The difference, however, between the Empire and Republic was that Verres was hauled up on charges in a public trial in the forum, whereas Imperial governors could practice their banditry while hiding behind the petticoats of the emperor.

BTW, if you haven't had a chance to check out Cicero's case against Verres, it's a great read.

During the republic, the governor of Sicily -- Gaius Verres -- also had some Roman citizens crucified. The difference, however, between the Empire and Republic was that Verres was hauled up on charges in a public trial in the forum, whereas Imperial governors could practice their banditry while hiding behind the petticoats of the emperor.

BTW, if you haven't had a chance to check out Cicero's case against Verres, it's a great read.

Thanks. I'll check it out. Where do I find this thread (what forum)?

Edited by frankq

Thanks. I'll check it out. Where do I find this thread (what forum)?

No thread I'm afraid, but you can find the "orations" online:

Against Verres 1

Against Verres 2

(note I posted two different sites because the host for oration 2 does not provide an English translation of oration 1)