UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Who was the first Christian consul ?

Let say that Titus Flavius Clemens cos. 82 was not Christian (and if he was, who was the next ?)

Didn't Clemens convert to Judaism instead?

Let say that Titus Flavius Clemens cos. 82 was not Christian (and if he was, who was the next ?)

What's the source on this?

It's unclear, Cassius Dio mention that he adopted Jewish customs ("The charge brought against them both was that of atheism, a charge on which many others who drifted into Jewish ways were condemned" - 67.14.2). I think it's rather dubious since in Domitianus time many have been accuse of adopting Jewish customs and I suppose it's was a device to get rid of political rivals.

Some identify Clemens as a senator who is mentioned in rabbinic literature as a convert to Judaism, there is also a tradition that he and is wife were christian converters. there is an attempt to combine between the two evidences and claim that he converted to a Christian-Jewish sect.

I just remember reading somewhere that he was very sympathetic to the Jews and may have converted (unfortunately I don't remember anymore where I saw it). Probably not the most reliable source, whatever it was.

I just remember reading somewhere that he was very sympathetic to the Jews and may have converted (unfortunately I don't remember anymore where I saw it). Probably not the most reliable source, whatever it was.

Ahem... look at my previous post :rolleyes:

Ahem... look at my previous post :rolleyes:

Just did. You were quicker than me posting your reply. ;) Thanks for the info, at least I don't feel like I was so wide off the mark anymore.

"...With reference to Champlin's article of I982, and his identification of Ovinius Gallicanus as the first Christian consul..." (Statistics and the Conversion of the Roman Aristocracy, T. D. Barnes, The Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 85, (1995), pp. 135-147)

He was consul in 317

Another opinion ?