UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Eagle of the Ninth

Lanista

Wikipedia currently mention 'Sword Song' and 'The Shield Ring' as also being part of the loose series although there is no write-up of either book so how accurate any of this later 'Wiki' information is I won't know for certain until I get my hands on her books again. :D

Melvadius

I never liked Sword Song. I thought that it needed more in-depth characters and a bigger plot.

I never came across 'Dawn Wind' before, and I am now trying to obtain a copy. I suppose it deals with the final demise of Romano British culture, and the first glimmer of the English state?

I never came across 'Dawn Wind' before, and I am now trying to obtain a copy. I suppose it deals with the final demise of Romano British culture, and the first glimmer of the English state?

Just a bit of the review of Dawn Wind I found online. For some reason the link to the site will not work, but in your browser if you type: "greenmanreview of Rosmary Sutcliff's The Eagle of The Ninth book series" you should find it.

Dawn Wind closes the story of the Aquila family and Roman Britain. Opening the morning after Cealwin of Wessex defeats the British at Dyrham (about A.D. 577) and ending with the arrival of Augustine in Kent in A.D.597 (though only fourteen years pass in the book). Dawn Wind is the story of Owain, the great-great-grandson of the main character of The Lantern Bearers.

Edited by Crispina

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished "Frontier Wolf" in this series. I liked it, but I still wish there was a glossary to refer to when soldier's ranks are mentioned, ect. Also, it isn't clear just who this Aquila's father is - at least to me (the Marius Aquila, red haired friend of the surgeon in The Silver Branch? The surgeon being a cousin and the main character in that book). It would be nice to see a family tree at the end of the last book of the series! : )

Also the local library found a copy of The Lantern Bearers and Dawn Wind within days of each other, so now I have two books to read asap before they have to be returned. I started TLB this afternoon.

Just a bit of the review of Dawn Wind I found online. For some reason the link to the site will not work, but in your browser if you type: "greenmanreview of Rosmary Sutcliff's The Eagle of The Ninth book series" you should find it.

Dawn Wind closes the story of the Aquila family and Roman Britain. Opening the morning after Cealwin of Wessex defeats the British at Dyrham (about A.D. 577) and ending with the arrival of Augustine in Kent in A.D.597 (though only fourteen years pass in the book). Dawn Wind is the story of Owain, the great-great-grandson of the main character of The Lantern Bearers.

It might be worth a read then. I thought the Lantern Bearers was the best book my far featuring the Aquila family.

Just a side note, probably not of much interest to others; but in my local paper yesterday there was an article stating that the County Library will begin charging $5 for a book search (!). That is, finding a book at another bigger city library or other and requesting a copy on loan. They state the charge is necessary because book searches are "so labor intensive". Huh? They do it all by computer, and the librarian assisting me seemed to thoroughly enjoy herself, like a treasure hunt. Oh, well.

Crispina,

that is quite a hefty charge in my books.

I rarely use the library, I ended up with fines, even with option of renewing on line.

Also you dont know where that library book has been ;)

I restarted reading Goldsworthy's book on the fall of the Roman empire. He writing almost reads itself.

I'm not a very good book reviewer, but wanted to give my opinion of Dawn Wind, the last book in the series; I enjoyed the story and learned a bit of Rome/Britain/Saxon history. Altho towards the middle of the book I was worried it was going to be all about a "boy and his dog" and it started to drag for me, it turned around and held my interest to the last chapter. A great ending by the way.