UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Earthquake in L'Aquila, NE of Rome

Nephele

There was a terrible earthquake in Italy today.

Klingan, are you okay? Silentium, if you're out there, I'm wishing you safety, too. Thoughts of concern for all our UNRV members in the area, as well as for the citizens of L'Aquila.

-- Nephele

L'AQUILA, Italy

And the estimates are escalating... 100k homeless and 50 dead at NYT report. I hope they carefully look for folks who are trapped in hidden places and savable with quick action; I heard mention of search dogs on the way.

As for the amount of harm in surrounding areas... hopefully this is a "Californian" style magnitude which doesn't transmit strength very widely. The magnitude is posted for the epicenter, and quickly falls away in bedrock widely shattered by previous quakes like CA. Where quakes and cracks are rarer, the damaging energy is more efficiently spread wide IIRC.

Edited by caesar novus

Thank you Nephele...I just wanted to say I am safe... the earthquake was very powerful here in my area, despite being miles away from the epicentre. I haven't been so scared in quite some time...at least I'm here to recount what happened, as we say in Italy. I'm very sorry for those who lost loved ones and are now homeless..

Edited by Silentium

Thank you Nephele...I just wanted to say I am safe... the earthquake was very powerful here in my area, despite being miles away from the epicentre. I haven't been so scared in quite some time...at least I'm here to recount what happened, as we say in Italy. I'm very sorry for those who lost loved ones and are now homeless..

I'm glad you're safe, Silentium! Still waiting to hear from Klingan. Klingan, because you haven't posted your daily picture from Rome today, I'm now really worrying about you. Please be safe.

Any other UNRV members in the disaster area, please check in here and let us know you're okay.

-- Nephele

I'm glad you're safe, Silentium! Still waiting to hear from Klingan. Klingan, because you haven't posted your daily picture from Rome today, I'm now really worrying about you. Please be safe.

Any other UNRV members in the disaster area, please check in here and let us know you're okay.

-- Nephele

Didn't Klingan say he was going away for a few days? That's probably why he hasn't posted anything.

-- Nephele

Didn't Klingan say he was going away for a few days? That's probably why he hasn't posted anything.

Klingan posted yesterday that he was headed for Etruria, which I believe is north of Rome. So is the disaster area, in and around L'Aquila. ;) But, yes, he did mention that he wouldn't be posting any more pictures until Thursday. Still, I'll be happier when we do hear from him, pictures or not.

-- Nephele

Hey! I'm alive and well, but the disaster is easily seen in the faces of people here. It's on everyone's minds, no doubt. I actually didn't even wake up through the quake, but it wasn't that strong in Rome. Mostly a lot of car alarms that went of.

I will have to see if I can give some money to those who need it around here, a lot of people need it.

Anyway, thanks for your concern!

Hey! I'm alive and well, but the disaster is easily seen in the faces of people here. It's on everyone's minds, no doubt. I actually didn't even wake up through the quake, but it wasn't that strong in Rome. Mostly a lot of car alarms that went of.

I will have to see if I can give some money to those who need it around here, a lot of people need it.

Anyway, thanks for your concern!

I'm glad you're alive, Klingan! That's very kind of you to see what you can do to help the earthquake victims there.

In recognition of your kindness, and the fact that you survived the earthquake on what will perhaps be your most memorable trip to Italy, I hereby bestow upon you a new blanagrammed Roman name:

P. Gargilius Turbo

= atrkPi glgiKnrbo -kkn +uus

The initial "P." stands for the Roman praenomen "Publius," as well as for your own, actual first name.

"Gargilius" is the name of a Roman gens that gave birth to Gargilius Martialis, a historian "quoted as an authority for the private life and habits of Alexander Severus, with whom he seems to have been a contemporary." You deserve to be related to a historian, due to your scholarly travels in Italy.

"Turbo" is a Roman cognomen meaning "a whirling; storm; commotion." Which, of course, marks your visit to Italy!

Take care, and come home safely!

-- Nephele

I'm glad you're alive, Klingan! That's very kind of you to see what you can do to help the earthquake victims there.

In recognition of your kindness, and the fact that you survived the earthquake on what will perhaps be your most memorable trip to Italy, I hereby bestow upon you a new blanagrammed Roman name:

P. Gargilius Turbo

= atrkPi glgiKnrbo -kkn +uus

The initial "P." stands for the Roman praenomen "Publius," as well as for your own, actual first name.

"Gargilius" is the name of a Roman gens that gave birth to Gargilius Martialis, a historian "quoted as an authority for the private life and habits of Alexander Severus, with whom he seems to have been a contemporary." You deserve to be related to a historian, due to your scholarly travels in Italy.

"Turbo" is a Roman cognomen meaning "a whirling; storm; commotion." Which, of course, marks your visit to Italy!

Take care, and come home safely!

-- Nephele

Thanks a lot Nephele! Now I'll only need to figure out how to fit in my signature! :)

Welcome back, Klingan. Glad to know you're all right and thanks for the nice pictures.

• 3 years later...

The Italian justice system has solved the problem of no warning before this and any future quake http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_21829020/italy-convicts-7-scientists-manslaughter-failing-predict-killer

L'AQUILA, Italy -- Defying assertions that earthquakes cannot be predicted, an Italian court convicted seven scientists and experts of manslaughter Monday for failing to adequately warn residents before a temblor struck central Italy in 2009 and killed more than 300 people.

The court in L'Aquila also sentenced the defendants to six years each in prison.

Any scientist can now put a recording on their phone saying an earthquake may be imminent, and meanwhile move to Barbados.