UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Centurion (2009 Film)

Kieronus

New update on Centurion.

The film has been finished. Unfortunately the future doesn't look too rosy for the film. Test audiences hated it. The director was given orders to re-edit the film. The test audience hated it even more. Now the director's hoping it's third time lucky.

Marshall has suffered at the hands of test audiences before. His brilliant "The Descent" had a really downbeat ending, but American test audiences hated it. So they changed the ending allowing one of the protagonists to live. I think the same thing happened with "The Last Samurai" where the test audiences couldn't accept the fact that Tom Cruise bought the farm in the end. For a film that is all about metaphorically falling on your sword, this revised ending totally fudged the theme (for me anyway). Same with the Butterfly Effect - the guy was supposed to die in the end, but again…test audiences didn't want Aston Kutcher to die so the film was changed.

The fact that test audiences are reacting badly to the movie could mean that it'll be great.

Or it could mean that its really bad, but judging on his work so far, Marshall doesn't do really bad, so I reckon this film may well turn out the be wicked. I'll go and see it and hope they do a directors cut with the downbeat ending that Marshall probably filmed in the first place (they all die and the hero doesn't return to the Pict tribe to hook up with the girl).

Edited by Lanista

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New update on Centurion.

The film has been finished. Unfortunately the future doesn't look too rosy for the film. Test audiences hated it. The director was given orders to re-edit the film. The test audience hated it even more. Now the director's hoping it's third time lucky.

Marshall has suffered at the hands of test audiences before. His brilliant "The Descent" had a really downbeat ending, but American test audiences hated it. So they changed the ending allowing one of the protagonists to live. I think the same thing happened with "The Last Samurai" where the test audiences couldn't accept the fact that Tom Cruise bought the farm in the end. For a film that is all about metaphorically falling on your sword, this revised ending totally fudged the theme (for me anyway). Same with the Butterfly Effect - the guy was supposed to die in the end, but again

• 1 month later...
Guest Ledsidesmarry

This has to be the most pedantic forum Ive ever come across

Im happy to see a movie coming out that shows the Roman Army getting its arse kicked, as definitely happened from time-to-time.

After Mons Graupius, the northern Scottish tribes learnt how to fight the Romans and, in this respect, I think Centurion will be quite accurate...

There will certainly be lots of inaccuracies in the film and I think Neil Marshall is more than aware of these. BUT THIS IS A FEATURE FILM, NOT A DOCUMENTARY Its not meant to pander to pedants...

This has to be the most pedantic forum Ive ever come across

BUT THIS IS A FEATURE FILM, NOT A DOCUMENTARY Its not meant to pander to pedants...

Its a drum I beat often, but when you come to a Roman History forum, I suppose it goes with the territory.

I'm pretty sure the Romans will come out of it well, given that Marshall enjoys battering the Scots as much as the next Englishman. Shutting them behind Hadrian's Wall in "Doomsday" was classic, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for a Braveheart-esque movie where we discover that the secret of Roman success for the next few hundred years is all down to the fact that they listened to Pictish lore. Or something.

• 2 weeks later...
is it me or it does look a lot like King Arthur ?

Yup.

I've changed my mind. I might watch this on the half price Saturday morning matinee when it comes out. Perhaps it will be entertaining at the least.

I still haven't seent that movie, even though the Late Roman Empire is my favourite era of Roman history. Any know if it's any good?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for your answer Macro! My friend says he's seen it on hol,iday in Spain, and that it wasn't bad a ta all. He usually doens't like historical movies.

:wine:

imdb says release date it's in April

I'm sorry, I meant that he'd seen King Arthur while on holiday in Spain (the movie not the quasi-historical figure :oops: )

• 1 month later...

I've now seen Centurion, and I have a tip for anyone who's plannning to see it, and hasn't yet done so.

Go into the film expecting something like King Arthur (as I did), and you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

If you go in expecting something akin to HBO Rome, you will be disappointed.

I've now seen Centurion, and I have a tip for anyone who's plannning to see it, and hasn't yet done so.

Go into the film expecting something like King Arthur (as I did), and you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

If you go in expecting something akin to HBO Rome, you will be disappointed.

So maybe it's worth half-off at the Saturday morning matinee? Hmmm. I'll consider it.