UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Aurelia

First cocktail created in Mesopotamia 5,000 years ago

This is the sort of news I love to read about (and in this case, the English is quite entertaining too :) ). Researchers study traces of an ancient brew found in earthenware discovered along the Tigris river. It is thought that this "grog" was drunk by Etrurians too.

http://www.teatronaturale.com/article/345.html

A question for our American UNRV friends: is this Midas Touch concoction worth looking for? I'd be curious to taste it.

Hmmm, no response so far?? Must be bad then. ;)

Hmmm, no response so far?? Must be bad then. ;)

I've been waiting for our resident beer connoisseur, Moonlapse, to review it.

Is this the same beer?

-- Nephele

I've been waiting for our resident beer connoisseur, Moonlapse, to review it.

Is this the same beer?

-- Nephele

Yes, that's the one. I thought Ursus was also a keen beer drinker. But then again, this is probably not the sort of stuff people normally drink in the pub. ;)

Ooohhh, my favorite subject.

I have indeed had Midas Touch several times, I buy it whenever its available. Some people don't think it's all that, but I really enjoy it. It is similar to a fruit lambic in some ways, it doesn't really taste like beer and it definitely has a grapey meady taste. Different batches have slight differences in flavor, smell, etc. I like the mouthfeel as well, its not watery. I won't try to describe the flavor in detail, so you'll have to find it and see if it suits your tastes.

Excellent! Thanks Moonlapse! I do like Lambic too so if you say Midas Touch is similar, I'll definitely look for it. One would think that because I live in the land of beer it would be easy to find it but I guess people are spoiled for choice here so why go for an American import, right? But I'll keep looking and will let you know what I think when I find it. ;)

So watch this space.

Edited by Aurelia