UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Bryaxis Hecatee

UNRV roman archeological sites collection

An idea came to me as I read the various comments in Klingan's picture of the day and my own Napoli area threads : we have here a huge community owning thousands of pictures of roman sites, from big and well known places to small and out of the way sites, some maybe not even visible anymore. So I wondered if UNRV could not collect all those pictures with all the data their owner could provide ( place, date of picture, identification of the object, ... ) in order to put a massive online gallery which would be organized by places and monuments for the remains, museums or categories for pieces exhibited (for exemple : sculpture, painting, british museum, K

Really interesting idea, but this will take up serious bandwith, especially when using high-res pictures.

That said I've got about 30,000 travel pictures lying around, which I'm slowly labeling and geotagging, so count me in :)

ps you might want to check for possible copyright issues, especially pictures taken in museums.

I think that's an excellent idea! As stated in Klingan's thread, I was planning to post a few photos I had taken in southern Italy last year. I also have interesting pictures of ancient sites I visited in other parts of Italy, Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, Greece and Egypt (although those I would have to scan as they were taken in the pre-digital era). I think it is for the administrators to tell us whether this site could support such an enormous amount of data.

Edited by Aurelia

I would love to work with such a project and I got far more pictures on my computer then what's posted here :).Count me in!

Copyright issues are always awfully complex, yet ancient art shown in Museum is not subject to copyright : what might be copyrighted would be the labels, not the pictures themselves since they are considered an original production by the photographer. On the other hand digitalized postcards would fall under copyright legislation and so I won't put my 60 to 100 years old postcards of Rome and other places online.

As for the material issue, it would probably take more storage space than bandwidth, and I don't know how UNRV is hosted. Still a 1024

Maybe we could attach a kind of site guide to the pictures, the idea was proposed earlier concerning Roman Britain if I'm not mistaken.

I'm glad to see enthusiasm and ambition. I think it is a great idea, but I can't speak for the Triumviri on whether or not it is feasible.

No thoughts from the site admins? It would be sad to see such a good idea fade away without any discussion at all.

...i am all for more content, images etc..

...what else would that project page need that the current Gallery we offer can not? We are talking of uploading images and add text, that the gallery can handle already right now, or you mean like a static page like my trips to Noric villages http://www.unrv.com/roman-events/aguntum-photos.php?

or something else...

...and thanks for all your enthusiasm, ambition and ideas, keep them coming...

cheers

viggen

The thing is that the sheer volume of the project ( probably in the range of 10 to 25k pictures for Italy alone : just my collection of pictures from Italy is about 3000 units strong ) is a problem. Then comes the structure of the things : it needs to be searchable to be usefull, to be well tagged, to be presentable under various views ( all pictures of Rome or all pictures of a member or all picture of rome by a member... ). Thus I'm not sure the current infrastructure is really adapted, especially as it does not take mass upload well. Maybe beginning with Picasa ( allowing everyone to tag his/her own pictures on his computer with the rather good and easy software of Google before either directly uploading the pics on the unrv picasa account of sending them to a manager ) could be a first solution.

...i see, that would mean we have to get Moonlapse involved as this is beyond my capabilites and the current set up...

cheers

viggen

It's also a problem that non members can't access the albums right now if I remember correctly. Maybe this could be a way to find new members?

I'm sure all this can be done using Google Maps API, and it wouldn't be using unrv.com server resources. In fact, that's what I want to use eventually for interactive province maps (which would integrate with any other map stuff like archaeological locations, pictures, etc)

If someone else knows how to do it and wants to do it, that's awesome. For me to do it, it would have to be queued and I really can't tell you when it would be done.

ok, Bryaxis, now to plan B ;)

hold on a while, i see if we can figure something out...

cheers

viggen

OK, no problem.

One thing we have to remember if we use plan b Picasa is that at medium resolution ( 1024 ) we have space for about 6000 pictures. So we'll certainly need more space, and this costs money : that's a decision for the triumvirate to make.